Question about feeding egg layers of diffrent age in the same coop.

Jayon

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Utah
I have 7 chickens that are going to be 16 weeks this Wednesday. I also have 5 that will be 13 weeks old and 2 that will be 12 weeks old on Wednesday. I have them all on a %16 Pullet Developer right now.

Depending on what I read I should put them on a %20 Layer mash, %18 Layer crumbles or %16 Complete Layer ration at 16-18 weeks.

I guess I have a few questions.

1: When should I change the feed 16, 17, or 18 weeks?

2: What should I be feeding them? (%20 Layer mash, %18 Layer crumbles, %16 Complete Layer ration or something not mentioned)

3: Should I separate them until the younger 2 are 16, 17, or 18 weeks.

4: Or should I wait for oldest to be 18 weeks and just move them all at the same time? (The others will be 15 and 14 weeks by then)

I hope you can make heads or tales of that.
Thanks for the help,

Jonathan

Thanks. Its a GREAT source of information.

Jonathan

Last edited:
I have to say I do not think it matters. As long as babies arent o.d.ing on calcium and older laying birds are not getting zero calcium, they'll all be fine. It's like worrying about the most perfect possible diet for yourself and measuring, counting every calorie, etc.

Especially if they are eating some nice table scraps, compost veggies, a little yogurt, or just grass and dirt, they should be fine. My chickens have always shared food, layer pellets, usually, as soon as they're a few months old.

Others may differ but I have never had one problem.

best.

I asked basically the same question a week or so ago and the consensus was to continue feeding the chick food (or pullet developer in your case), until they are all at point of lay. Be sure to supplement with oyster shell, free choice. Once they are all at laying age, then go ahead and switch to layer feed. Which layer feed, I have no idea. I don't have choices like that where I am. I ask for layer feed and they have one kind so that's what I get, lol.

Back
Top Bottom