Question about Fermented Feed

WatkinsCluckers

Chirping
Mar 2, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
I love reading the idea of fermented feed and the health benefits. I read up on it, but I always have an issue on how to even start. All of DIY tutorials always say to start with “chicken feed”. What exactly is this chicken feed? Can I use the layer pellets from the feed store? Or do I have to make my own concoction? And if so, what would be the best ingredients for it?
please help my chicken savvy friends😊

Hi. Just use whatever chicken feed you have on hand. Cover with water, stir and let it sit for 12 to 24 hours in warm environment. The warmer it is the faster it will ferment and the more you'll need to feed it.

I've had a lot of chickens and none of mine have ever liked it fermented for more than 24 hours. Every night I fill the bucket with enough feed for one day, cover with water and stir, then leave over night and feed the next day. I reserve a good sized spoonful from the previous batch to jump start the new one.

Hi. Just use whatever chicken feed you have on hand. Cover with water, stir and let it sit for 12 to 24 hours in warm environment. The warmer it is the faster it will ferment and the more you'll need to feed it.

I've had a lot of chickens and none of mine have ever liked it fermented for more than 24 hours. Every night I fill the bucket with enough feed for one day, cover with water and stir, then leave over night and feed the next day. I reserve a good sized spoonful from the previous batch to jump start the new one.
Oh awesome! Thank you for the help. So I have 7 hens. How much would you expect them to eat every day?

Oh awesome! Thank you for the help. So I have 7 hens. How much would you expect them to eat every day?
Up to 1/3 cup per day per bird typically, some eat mire and some less if you have standard birds. If you have 7 that would be about 2 2/3 cups if you reserve about 1/3 cup to jump start your next batch. Then 2 1/3 cups per day after the initial start. You'll eventually just eyeball it and add more or less each night as necessary.

Up to 1/3 cup per day per bird typically, some eat mire and some less if you have standard birds. If you have 7 that would be about 2 2/3 cups if you reserve about 1/3 cup to jump start your next batch. Then 2 1/3 cups per day after the initial start. You'll eventually just eyeball it and add more or less each night as necessary.
Ugh. Thank you so so much!

I have a small system set up for mine - 4 plastic containers (tubs that organic salad mix comes in). On day 1, I added their food, a tablespoon of organic ACV and water to cover 2 inches. Day 2, moved that container over into the next slot and started a new container. Day 3, moved both of those over and started a 3rd container. On day 4, I started a new container using some of the liquid from the oldest container and then fed that container to the girls. And now I have a constant supply of fermented food for the ladies that takes all of 3 minutes every morning.

I like doing it this way so that if a batch does go bad, I'm only wasting a small batch, plus it's easy to keep up with every morning - no thinking about which to feed or how long it's been sitting there.

I have 8 hens and a roo - they get about 2 cups of feed fermented in the morning and have access to dry food and water 24/7 on top of whatever kitchen scrapes/garden cuttings we give or they find in their secured run.

Back
Top Bottom