Question about fertilized eggs.

caseyleah

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 4, 2010
Okay, so I'm new to all of this and I might end up with 3 roos out of my 6 chicks and I was wondering if its safe to eat fertilized eggs? I was suppose to be getting all pullets so I could just have fresh eggs. Do I just put them in the fridge to keep the embryo from growing or what? Sorry if this sounds like a completely stupid question. I have already become attached to all my chicks and would rather not get rid of or eat any of my roos
sad.png

Fertilized eggs are safe to eat and taste just like unfertlized eggs. All the eggs we eat are fertilized. All you have to do to keep them from developing is keep them out from under a broody hen and out of an incubator! Eggs have to reach a temperature of around 100 degrees and stay there to start developing.

As for what to do if you have 3 roos...you may change your mind about not wanting to eat them when they crow at 2AM and/or cause havoc in the flock because they are constantly trying to get some from the hens and/or duking it out for dominance. You don't have to eat them though, often you can re-home them. Our extra roos were quite tasty.

There is NO difference in taste between fertilized and unfertilized eggs. You are not gonna crack open an egg and find a partially grown chick - unless you left an egg under a brooding hen for about a week - or more.

Eggs need constant heat at a particular level to incubate, either under a hen or in an incubator. Eggs left on the kitchen counter for a month will not grow chicks, but will STILL be good to eat (unless you keep your kitchen at 99.5 around the clock). Honest.

Gather the eggs daily, put 'em in the fridge (or not) and enjoy them any way you like them cooked.
smile.png

Thanks guys!!! Like I said, I'm new to this and I know my daughter would be devastated if I cracked open an egg for her breakfast and out popped a half grown chick, thank you for setting me straight!!!
big_smile.png

If you have 3 hens and 3 roosters, you will have problems but not from the eggs. Fertilized eggs aren't an issue.

See the roosters will tear the feathers off of your hens with their breeding and dominating ways....in my flock 2 roosters with 8 hens was still too much rooster!

Back
Top Bottom