Question about flooring

zengrrl

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Oakland County, MI
So this is the conversion to a coop. All of the walls are demolished so it resembles a pavillion at a park right now. The new walls will be where those old rotting ones used to be. the run will be the rest of it so its a large area. All of the walls etc were rotten but the roof and support beams etc are fine.

I'm planning on using sand both inside the coop and also the run which will be where you see the pavers etc. They are alittle broken up, etc but I'm thinking that with a dump of sand it won't really matter. Does anyone see any issue with it?

83887_006.jpg

Last edited:
Aww thanks! The only thing I'm not sure of is if using sand will be ok bc the pavement is uneven cement & paver blocks. A good dump of sand and it should all even out pretty well I possibly? Does anyone see any issues with the floor? The good news is I don't think I'll have to bury any wire as its all cement flooring.

I wish my coop was this huge!! How many hens are you going to keep in it? The floor seems like it will work fine. The only thing I would be worried about, is that it is concrete, they can injure their legs easily jumping off perches and such, so sand or dirt inside might be a good idea
smile.png

I think the sand will take care of the fact its cement or uneven. How many chickens...thats the magic question. I say MORE, dh says 7 -- 1 didn't make it
sad.png
is enough. Ummm....have you seen the size of that coop? That can hold a HELLA chickens! We'll see, I mean its not like he's going to be hanging out there doing a head count. Umm....helloooo they followed me home!
big_smile.png
wink.png

I don't see a problem with the sand as long as it's deep enough. Chickens enjoy digging down. They'll make deep areas in the soil, almost like a nest, to lay and sun in. If they can only go down a few inches that's okay, but if it were me I'd just remove the pavers and throw some sand on top. That way they can scratch and dig as deep as they'd like.

I would have loved to have had something like that to start with!
droolin.gif
They're going to have some nice digs. Be sure to post plenty of "after" pictures!!

I think it would be a good idea to put a thin layer of gravel between the sand and cement.
The gravel will help keep the sand in place and will contribute to a longer lasting, even spread.

Quote:
I've read here that one problem with that is that the gravel will mix up into the sand because of the chickens scratching. Then you can't "poop scoop" the poo out from the sand. If you're not planning to do that in the first place, though, that wouldn't be a problem.

I have sand in our runs and coops and looooove it!

Back
Top Bottom