Question about handling ducklings

lizzyGSR

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2012
Kansas
I have two pekin ducklings that are two weeks old today. I've had them for just over a week now and they still run from me when I put my hand in their box. The lady at the store said that I should only handle them 3-4 times per day until they are at least 8 weeks old, but I'm afraid that, if I do that, they'll be scared of me, and I've got plans to get 4 adult ducks from my husband's grandma and her ducks are all half wild (she didn't handle them much as ducklings). I really want these two to be tame and friendly.

How often do you guys handle your ducklings? How long do you handle them each time? Any suggestions for me?

Handle them as much as you want! I entice my ducklings with treats, (kale, lettuce, peas, carrots, grass). If you want friendly ducks, they need to be handled regularly. With my own, I often let them out of their pen to run around in the family room. (make sure the door is closed so you can control where they play, and so any other animals leave them be.) I find that the most helpful way to interact with them is for me to sit down on the ground with them, they'll run around, and make noise-they'll want to try to eat anything they can and look for anything fun to peck at.

I have two babies right now, and they tended to run away when i want to pick them up, so each day I started seperating them. (they'll cry for each other, but it's fine) I left one in their pen, while I took the other duckling to the other side of the house where they couldn't hear each other peeping, I sat on the floor with him and once he calmed down a little, he climbed into my lap, and snuggled into my arms.

Just remember to have a lot of patience, because some ducks will take much longer than others, with my ducks they like to be petted, and held but ONLY IF THEY GET TO CHOOSE WHEN. :) Let them come to you, mine still hate to be picked up but once they are there they seem to love the attention.

P.S. entice them with a bath! I started putting mine in the water (used our sink) to swim when they were one week old. As long as you're watching them (they can easily drown) then they'll be okay-once they start to shiver, put them back under their heat lamp. :) good luck!

no problem, just remember if you give them a lot of extra treats (veggies, and such) then they may need a small pinch of "chick grit". they won't exactly know how to use it yet-but they'll figure it out.

ditto treats (and grit before starting the treats - see the sticky about what is okay for ducklings), ditto spending time.

I would sit in the brooder (we had eleven ducklings and a big brooder) after cleaning it, partly because I was tired, but just to give the ducklings opportunity to cuddle if they wanted to. Some crawled up on me, some would not.

I sang them a little song I composed for them, often made quiet soft "duck duck duck" noises.

They went through a phase of acting like I was an axe murderer. Patience, treats, and not making them feel cornered helped, and in several weeks they grew out of it.

Now I have a number of ducks who hang very close, let me pet them, and I would say all my ducks are at least friendly if not cuddly.

Thank you for the input! I will try it with them and will try to remember to be patient. Starting tomorrow, I'll try to spend a lot more time with them, individually and together.

Thank you for your posts. My daughter and I are trying our hand at raising Khaki Campbell ducks. She is estactic she can handle them. We tried your suggestions with bathing them and they love it. We run just enough in our tub to get their feet wet and let them splash around. We have been doing it 2-3 times a day. I found cutting small pieces of watermelon and squishing it with my fingers seems to let them eat it. We have never raised any kind of fowl before so this thread has been helpful. Thank you for commenting.

Welcome to BYC, Combat! Enjoy your ducky friends! Spend as much time as possible with them, because it won't be long til their all grown up!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom