Question about Hanging Feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NCnarrator, Mar 25, 2012.

1. NCnarrator

NCnarrator Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    We're picking up our first four chickens next Saturday [​IMG] and I have a question.

We're getting a hanging feeder (the metal kind), and we noticed that the top is open. Do people usually cover them? Ours will be hanging in the run, and I'm concerned that rain is going to ruin the feed in the feeder with the open top. So why is the top open?

Thanks for your help!

2. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    I think most people leave the tops open. There are a few online/catalogs where you can buy rain covers for feeders, although from what I have seen, each company has their own cover that goes with each particular brand/style of feeder.

I am still trying to decide between getting outdoor feeders with covers or making/buying covers from birdfeeder squirrel baffles. I have seen a few baffles that are large enough to provide rain protections, that do not have holes in the middle of them, and are curved/slanted enough that a chicken should have a hard time trying to roost on the cover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by