Question about hatching duck eggs with chicken eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by paddock36, Aug 29, 2010.

1. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I recently purchased some EE eggs at a local auction. They said were Auracanas but I know better and bought them knowing what they were but what I didn't notice is that there were three duck eggs in one of the cartons. I didn't tell my DS because he is crazy about ducks and didn't want him to get his hopes up if they don't hatch. My question is how can I hatch them in the same incubator as the chicken eggs? I don't know what type of duck eggs they are and I thought duck eggs need higher humidity to hatch. I only have one homemade incubator and buying/building another for three eggs is out of the question. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Depending on your incubator settings, skill level, and the eggs' genetic make-up, length of incubation will differ, as well as the numbers listed below. A couple degrees off could mean a big change in length of incubation and possibly a big failure!!! If the eggs are from a good broody hen the numbers should be right on. Because the humidity level is different, it may be difficult to hatch the chicks and ducks in the same bator, but I dont know, I have never tried to hatch the two at the same time. Good luck!

Species Incubation Temp (F.) Relative Humidity Stop

Period Forced Air Humidity Last 3 Days Turning Eggs

all poultry 21 days 99.5 60-65% 80-85% 19th day

Ducks 28 days 99.5 70-75% 90-95% 26th day

Muscovy 35-37 days 99.5 70-75% 90-95% 34th day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by