Question about hatching.

Darius123

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
Hello! So i have a pair 1 ro and 1 hen my first every pair of chickens. They are quite old, i exactly but they are over 5 1/2 years old.
I dont have any off spings of the two left, and in their honor (cause they are beginning to show sings of being at the end of their journey) i would like
to hatch 2-3 chicks from the "originals".
My question is given the fact that they are quite old, and given the fact that the eggs that she is provideing are becoming smaller and smaller,
will i have any chance to hatch someting? Or will the fertility be too low for that?
I dont want my broody to sit for 3 weeks on bad eggs. (I could candle course, but im worried that even if they develop they will lack the nutrients from a good proper egg)

In principle they should be OK. Give them the best food you can to build them up a bit before you take eggs to set if you're worried about their condition. If your roo's leg colour permits it, look for red vertical lines; it indicates his fertility in the same way that a plump red comb indicates a hen's.

but im worried that even if they develop they will lack the nutrients from a good proper egg)
About 2-3 weeks before collection of hatching eggs add in a supplement like Rooster Booster (brand) Poultry Cell or Poultry Booster for a few days. (if you're in the US)

Using a chicken feed like "flock Raiser" that is higher in protein and amino acids than "layer" (if that's what you currently use).. can make a difference in hatch ability.

Place more eggs than you hope will hatch to account for any reduction in hatch-ability.
:fl

Back
Top Bottom