Question about hatching.....

Hoosiermomma

Songster
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
S.E Ind
Okay so I have two, either RIR or BO eggs in the bator that are beginning to pip. What do I do now anything? It has been sooooo many years since I've hatched anything and even when I did , it was one that looked like a mini fridge. With that I didn't have to do anything but sit back , wait and watch. What I have these two in are a LG still air bator and they are currently in the egg turner. Do I leave them their until they actually hatch and then move them to the wire bottom or can I take them out and lay them in the brooder box? How long does this process usually take as I am afraid to fall asleep and have something happen to them. Sorry for rambling but I'm so excited that we may have babies soon.
big_smile.png

Adding....I need to add that there are other eggs that are in there with these two that aren't due to hatch for another few days. Will that affect anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy... Well, don't open the incubator or they will most likely get stuck in the shell.

Then I would only leave them in there 8-10 hours and quickly sneak them out so that the other eggs are not compromised from opening the incubator.

Have your brooder warmed up so they don't chill when you take them out.

Thanks. Once they hatch though, do I just leave them in the turner or how do I go about getting them onto the wire bottom? My other ones are not at the 'lockdown' stage so I am not too worried about them, just the ones that are working on hatching.

I agree leaving the incubator closed is important to keep the humidity up. Some people just let nature take its course and watch the eggs hatch, however others help after some number of hours. Here is a post you might want to read over before helping a chick hatch and deciding to do it or not.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9316

Now saying all that, I tend to let nature take its course....but people do different things. It can take about a day for some chicks to hatch out. Good luck
fl.gif
and hope you have some babies soon!!

I would unplug the turner for just a few hours after the first one hatches out. I have heard that sometimes the little chicks fall the wrong way and get squished if the turner is still on. The other option would be to place them both in a small bowl (like rubbermaid) inside with the eggs. If it is deep enough they can't get out. Then they can dry some in there without hurting the other eggs.
But don't keep the incubator open long because if your other eggs are getting close to hatch, then that will cause their membrane to dry, get tough and they may not be able to get out.
I have put mine in a little container and used the waffle type of cabinet liner in the bottom. That way their little feet can grip. They are fairly content in there until you take them out.

Thanks for the information! I think I'll get a bowl ready. I am going to turn the turner off once I see them break through more of the shell. I think I could probably take off a few of the egg holders on the turner to make more room too. Geez I do not know how all of you do it. It's too nerve wracking!
hmm.png

I am having similar issues right now. I have about 10 eggs that will hatch out (probably tomorrow) they shouldn't until friday but they all seem to go a day early.
what I have done tonight is cut down a foam egg carton. I have also cut a small hole in each of the bottoms of each cell. So I have a short open ended hatching container. I have it 6 long and it fits just fine along the side of the turner (sitting on the wire though)
After the last two chicks hatch from my one incubator then I will clean it quick, fast and get it going for several hours and quickly put the "ready to go eggs" in there, carton and all.
Hopefully it all gets done before they pip.

Back
Top Bottom