question about hens laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kushball21, Dec 24, 2011.

1. kushball21

kushball21 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Harveys Lake, PA
    I have at least 1 hen laying out of 15 and she seems to lay them in the corner of the coop under the roost. Somehow the eggs get covered up by the pine shavings. I have to hunt for the eggs. [​IMG] I do have nest boxes hanging on the walls with golf balls in them. So my question is, how do I get her to lay in the nest box?

P.S. just took 1 nest box off the wall and put on the floor of the coop.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    No idea. I guess I would be putting one of the nests over there too.

3. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Good luck trying to change the behaviour.
    I have 6 hens and 6 boxes, but 5 of them will all lay in the same box and 1 BO who always lays on the floor under the nest boxes.

At least you know where the ground layer is hiding her eggs.

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    If she lays there all the time I would put something in her way,and if she changes the spot but still not in the box move it to that spot. Hopefully she will get the point. Otherwise you're doing all the things you are supposed to do.

5. kushball21

May 30, 2011
    Harveys Lake, PA
    thanks all for the reply.... i think if she doesn't get the hint i might glue her feet to the nest box, maybe then she'll get the idea. [​IMG] he he he

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Give the hens at least one box, which is placed virtually on the floor. Just bang together a 18" cube of scrap plywood or similar. Put little 3" lip on the front opening to help keep the straw/chips in the box and set the box on a couple of half blocks or some bricks, just 3" off the ground. Many hens will not jump up to an elevated box. Give it a try. You've nothing to lose and everything to gain.

7. discoveregg

discoveregg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Quote:Having the same problem here, except I have two hens laying on the floor. At least the eggs are right by the door. Maybe I should go hunting too....

8. kushball21

May 30, 2011
    Harveys Lake, PA
    ok so i took the nest box down and put it in the corner where i saw her lay the egg and now she lays them in another corner!!!!!! [​IMG] and it was buried again!!!!!! [​IMG]

9. Shooting Star

Shooting Star New Egg

Sep 15, 2011
    I was having this problem too - I placed an egg in each nest box (I scribbled on the egg with a pencil) - so I could identify the eggs I placed in the box - after a few days, they were all laying in the boxes. [​IMG]

10. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

You`re stressing too much over this, my friend. Since you know now where she is laying, let her lay there and leave a marked egg for her refference. You know where the nest is, so you can collect the fresh ones. Everyone is happy........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by