Question about how to keep it nicce and cool in the coop

countrygirl911

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Mississippi
hi I was wondering we are having 90+ weather here and my chickens refuse to come out of the coop but it is also like a sauna in their they seem to be fine eating and drinking normaly but they seem to be panting. My question is if i go and buy 2 fans that are battery operated and hang out there will that help keep them cool

It's been pretty hot here, too. I took a vornado-type fan that I had inside and put it on the floor of the coop. If not for anything else, it keeps the air circulating. When they go in to roost at night, I point it up a little more until it cools off a bit outside and then turn it off. They seem to like it, but can't wait to go free ranging in the yard (their favorite spot is under the deck where it's nice and cool). I also put fresh, cool water in their drip-style waterer in the run in the morning (I think some people put ice cubes in to keep it cool). I would love to hear other people's ideas, too. The fan helps, but it's still pretty hot in there!

I have two large fans mounted across from each other in my coop. I also open up both my people doors when it's really hot. They still pant, but it does keep the air flowing. Last summer I made them ice baths. They loved it! Just fill rubbermaid tubs (shallow) or similar with ice and set them around the run. Mine had a blast walking and standing them on our hottest days!

DSC_0003-15.jpg

DSC_0005-11.jpg

DSC_0008-12.jpg

thanks everyone i have tried the frozen water jugs and all they do with them is peck them i will have to try the ice baths for sure i am going to go and try to find a battery operated fan to hang outside for them if i got elec fan then i will need 2 extention cords to reach out there also i misted a little water over them it helped a little but wont that make the building even hotter. i just want to make sure none get sick or die becasue of the heat and right now nobody around here will be selling anymore till about march. Again i really appreciate all the advice. the doors on my coop is always open during the day and at night it is closed we build the door to go onto the storage shed we bought from lowes out of wood and chicken wire so lost of air blows thru at night my coop is nothing spectacular but my girls and maybe one roo loves it they like to say in and only come out once and a while pic of the coop 10 X8 and run 16X16 is posted below. Any advice to make it better would also be greatly appreciated

60848_100_4367.jpg

You might want to hang a tarp over part of the run. They're probably not coming out because there's not shade, except in the coop.

i was looking for a tarp that i can hang over the top and attach it but i can not find one that is big enought does anyone know where i can find one that is atleast 16ft long all i can find is little ones

Back
Top Bottom