Question about humidity (Marans eggs)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigspringshatchery, Jan 21, 2012.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I have had excellent hatch rates with eggs. Mostly always around 95-99%. But Marans eggs are kicking my butt. I have a hard time with them. I think it's a humidity problem. What is a good percentage to be on for first 18 days and then the last 3. I have heard 35-40 the first days then 60-65. But my question is I'm using a homemade cabinet bator I built last year and now it's running and the humidity is around 35% with no water added. Do I still need to put some in there?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I would PM chookschicks and ask her.

She says that because the shell is SO thick, you either have to dry hatch OR you need to sandpaper the surface of the eggs so that there can be oxygen exchanged.

She also has a 'cheat sheet' on incubation that is a great read.

3. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Thanks. I'll do that right now.

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I dry hatch my marans eggs. I have way better results if I dry hatch than if I use extra humidity. We are pretty humid here in FL, anyways, compared to some places so it might make a difference.

5. Wingsfan

Wingsfan Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    Duvall, WA
    Please post the cheat sheet. I will be setting Maran eggs for the first time next week and would love to be successful. I've hatched before , just not Marans. I need all the tips I can get!
    Thanks, Kris

6. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubation-cheat-sheet

Thats that's link for it. It's pretty interesting. I might give it a try.

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I would love to see this thread continue with information on hatching the marans. I tried a few shipped eggs, so couldn't be sure if it was because they were marans or shipped. I do pretty good with my own eggs.

I had done research before setting the eggs and all the advice was "same as other eggs' then after a low hatch rate I'm not reading, to change the methods. I not setting yet but will keep tabs on this thread. :)

8. Margitas

Margitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Hudson NY

I hatching marans eggs every weekend , humidity need 45-55 first 18 day ,than raise up to 65-70 .
    35% humidity you see because the eggs inside , you need to add water.
    Temp my is 100 and i get over 80% some time 100% hatch with shipping eggs.

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Wow ! I need to follow this recipe!

10. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    I wonder if it isn't part of the breed history that makes the eggs need a higher humidity level. From the various club sites, I gathered that the Marans was developed in a particularly swampy area. Perhaps selection over time has made it so that their eggs require different conditions from those developed in more arid climates. I've had a mixed bag with Marans eggs- most recently I had 4/4 shipped eggs to hatch, but I've also had 0/24. This spring will be the first time I've hatched from my own flock (yay!) so that should give me some baseline expectations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by