Question About Introducing Water Bucket W/Nipples

Does anybody know if chickens are colorblind or can they tell colors? The reason why am asking is I have bright red buckets from TSC that I want to use as a vertical water but the nipples or red. Can anybody help me?

The nipple isn't only attractive because it's red -- birds like shiny things, too.

I wouldn't worry about what color the bucket is, just that it's food safe. The food safe ones at Lowe's are white or translucent white. Their blue ones didn't have the food storage symbol so I avoided. The risk may be minimal but so is the price difference.

I also highly recommend hanging it with chain, not the handle. Just a loop around the bucket small enough that it can't slide over the rim and a couple quick links to connect everything. Otherwise, the plastic eventually fails at the point where the handle connects and you have a huge mess.

Regarding using side mounted water nipples. My friend inserted them into a single gallon jug. The problem is they are leaking at the insertion site. My friend is very experienced regarding chickens. How can I stop the leaking?

Regarding using side mounted water nipples. My friend inserted them into a single gallon jug. The problem is they are leaking at the insertion site. My friend is very experienced regarding chickens. How can I stop the leaking?

By reinstalling on a thicker-walled container.

Quote:
Did you get a thicker container? I used a 2 qt pitcher in my brooder and now use a 5 gallon bucket sitting on cinder blocks in my coop. The one gallon milk jug style containers are to thin to work, I tried that first also and had to get the thicker wall pitcher.

If you ask at the bakery in your local grocery, they probably will give you an empty frosting bucket. Those come in smaller sizes than the 5G and are definitely food safe plastic.

We used white teflon plumber's tape on the threads on our side mounted horiz nipples. No leaks.

Granted, this is for only six in a brooder but you could use something like a 5G bucket and install 3-4 on it. I have a 5G in the main coop and just used chain to make a hanger around the bucket rather than that flimsy handle it comes with so it can't fall.

I love this idea! Where do you buy the nipples?

Back
Top Bottom