Question About Introducing Water Bucket W/Nipples

Patinas

Songster
Mar 22, 2017
Washington
My first flock of chicks vary between 2-5 weeks old so I have a variety of sizes. A while back, I bought a 2 Gal. water bucket with horizontal nipples.

My question is, should I introduce it to them now? I am so tired of shavings in the waterers. I currently have two, one large and one smaller to accommodate the sizes of the chicks. I've even raised the waterers on upside down plates but still they get tipped and/or full of shavings.

If I introduce the bucket should I leave one of the other waterers in the pen until I see that they've figured it out? Should I just take the other waterers out and put in the nipple bucket and make sure they figure it out? Or should I wait until the chicks are bigger?

Thanks!

I havent seen anyone say this, but you need to introduce each and every chick to the nipple waterer!! I learned from a chicken farmer, and after they processed the day old chicks, we brought them to the battery cages and one by one tapped their beaks to the waterer and made sure they knew what they were doing.
I brought home 15wk old pullets, and built them a really cool nipple waterer. I held each one and tapped her beak until she took a swallow or two of water, and they picked up on it immediately. Soon after, they were grouped around it and sharing nipples and being cute. They don't have to be forced to be thirsty, or have the old waterer in there.
It is very important to introduce each chick or pullet or hen to the waterer.

I actually just did it until the water party started and then I let the first few show the rest. Chickie-see-chickie-do, they're always interested in what fun thing the others are doing.

With my two batches of chicks, I just showed them what it was by tapping it with my finger and they'd all get interested in what was going on. Once one of them got the hang of it, the rest followed.

There's another option I used when introducing the concept to hens I was switching over that weren't mine (extended chickensitting). I installed the bucket, left the familiar fount in place for a week. Then, I chose a time I could watch for a long while and removed the fount. After every chicken had demonstrated that she could use it, I considered the transition complete.

You mentioned fastening the lid on so I'm also going to point out that you don't want an airtight container. If it's sealed, you'll need to add a tiny hole above the waterline to avoid a vacuum forming.

Regarding using side mounted water nipples. My friend inserted them into a single gallon jug. The problem is they are leaking at the insertion site. My friend is very experienced regarding chickens. How can I stop the leaking?

By reinstalling on a thicker-walled container.

I love this idea!  Where do you buy the nipples?

I got mine from a guy on BYC ages ago but QC Supply has them or there's always Amazon or eBay. They're "push in poultry nipples". Note, read the instructions because the hole size is important. This kind takes an 11/32 drill bit, some water, and a very firm push to install.

My chickens were using the nipples in under a minute, when I switched over, from their Chick waterer. The red plastic will attract them to it. They should be ok anyway for that short time but I bet they'll be using it real quick.

Mine just figured it out today, yay! I only have 3, so I took the floor water away for an hour, waited until after they ate (figured the chick mash would make them thirsty!) Then started tap-tap-tap, they rushed over to the drops of water & the boldest started to peck, and ta-dum! They are water nipple chickens, YES!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom