Question About Introducing Water Bucket W/Nipples

I love this idea!  Where do you buy the nipples?

I got mine from a guy on BYC ages ago but QC Supply has them or there's always Amazon or eBay. They're "push in poultry nipples". Note, read the instructions because the hole size is important. This kind takes an 11/32 drill bit, some water, and a very firm push to install.

This is the one I made for my brooder.
I have the 5 gal bucket in my coop, with the same nipples.I drilled the corect size hole, screwed them in and they have not leaked.

Last edited:
I've moved my three girls outside into the coop, and would like to give them free reign of the run as well, but am worried they'll get stuck in the run and not be able to figure out the ladder to get back into the coop, and the waterer they are used to, before getting dehydrated. I let them out into the run earlier and they couldn't figure out how to get back into the coop at night, so I had to rescue them!

I have the regular small brooder waterer in the coop, and the horizontal nipple bucket in the run.

Think they'd be ok for four hours away from water, if I let them out in the morning before I left for work, and they can't either a. figure the bucket out or b. figure out how to get back into the coop before I get home for lunch tomorrow?

Last edited:
My chickens were using the nipples in under a minute, when I switched over, from their Chick waterer. The red plastic will attract them to it. They should be ok anyway for that short time but I bet they'll be using it real quick.

Thanks! I let them out a little tonite and tried to get them to go up the ramp & stuck their beaks in the nipples, although they still seemed to get trapped & cry in the run when the sun went down so I had to lift them into coop again!

Tomorrow I'm going to set them free during the day!

I have the Brite Tap waterer that fits into the large red Igloo water coolers. Best thing since sliced bread. The chicks went directly from regular small quail waterer to that in 1 minute. I moved them out to their coop and they explore everything. When one gets it they all get it - very visual learners. I taught the adults by tapping it when one was watching and she walked over and did the same.

If it were me, I might have 2 waterers at 2 different heights since yours are different ages and sizes. Mine were around 6 mos. before we started using a nipple waterer, and we took their usual waterer out cold-turkey. They figured it out within minutes when they saw drops fall from the nipples. If it had taken more than half a day I would have given them their old waterer back because I'm a softy. I think the older ones would probably figure it out, and then the younger ones would copy their behavior. Just make sure they can all comfortably reach to drink and they should be fine.

I put my chicks on the vertical ones as soon as I bring them home. I just touch it to make sure they see a drop of water. If you can get one to use it the rest will follow. Two points already mentioned but I'll reiterate. First, you can't have an airtight container. Poke a hole in it or no lid, depending on what your using. The type I have screws to loosen and tighten to somewhat control flow. Which brings me to my second point, if this type of nipple is used make sure it doesn't just run out to easily. I had a chick that kept leaning slightly on the silver part and water was running out of it all over her. I kept wondering how she was getting wet til I saw her doing it. It should drop easily when they peck it but not run out. I love these and you can get 4 or 5 for 5 bux at feed store and use whatever type container to have on hand. I use a big peanut butter jar and a liter pop bottle in coop with nipples in bottom and small hole in lid. Works out perfectly. In brooder I use a 20 oz. Soda bottle. Pop bottles make em easy to hang due to the band around the neck. Adding more chickens sponsor I'm getting ready to put some in bottom of gallon ice cream container. You can use a 3 or 5 gallon bucket. Just about anything plastic you can drill a hole in. I wish they'd come up with a neat little invention we could use for our ducks that would help with the water mess...lol

I would remove the food for hour and put nipple waterer in.
BE SURE there is a hole at top of bucket or if a knob it is released. If there is no air in top, it's almost impossible to get water out of nipples.
If there is no food to distract them and the old waterer is gone- they all should figure it out. Be sure nipple isn't to high or so low they have to bend under it. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom