Question About Introducing Water Bucket W/Nipples

Just got these today, 6 Production Reds, found em in the 75% off tub, brought home put in Tweener coop, has ceramic wall heater, From an Office Supply store years ago. set it to 75 , put in water bottle, & feeder, Open door in case they want to see outside.& have Pic... Now if I just Knew how Old ?
Those are not reds. Maybe Amberlinks?

Quote:
Most of mine have, I can Not remember Loosing any to Not drinking.. . That's why IT's RED Bright colors & Shiny things get Pecked @ I've just had these 6 hrs or so..... I took each chick in Hand Put Beak Up to Nipple and watched till Drip...... Will Know tomorrow Am, B4 work

Last edited:
I havent seen anyone say this, but you need to introduce each and every chick to the nipple waterer!! I learned from a chicken farmer, and after they processed the day old chicks, we brought them to the battery cages and one by one tapped their beaks to the waterer and made sure they knew what they were doing.
I brought home 15wk old pullets, and built them a really cool nipple waterer. I held each one and tapped her beak until she took a swallow or two of water, and they picked up on it immediately. Soon after, they were grouped around it and sharing nipples and being cute. They don't have to be forced to be thirsty, or have the old waterer in there.
It is very important to introduce each chick or pullet or hen to the waterer.

I havent seen anyone say this, but you need to introduce each and every chick to the nipple waterer!! I learned from a chicken farmer, and after they processed the day old chicks, we brought them to the battery cages and one by one tapped their beaks to the waterer and made sure they knew what they were doing.
I brought home 15wk old pullets, and built them a really cool nipple waterer. I held each one and tapped her beak until she took a swallow or two of water, and they picked up on it immediately. Soon after, they were grouped around it and sharing nipples and being cute. They don't have to be forced to be thirsty, or have the old waterer in there.
It is very important to introduce each chick or pullet or hen to the waterer.

I actually just did it until the water party started and then I let the first few show the rest. Chickie-see-chickie-do, they're always interested in what fun thing the others are doing.

Mine just figured it out today, yay! I only have 3, so I took the floor water away for an hour, waited until after they ate (figured the chick mash would make them thirsty!) Then started tap-tap-tap, they rushed over to the drops of water & the boldest started to peck, and ta-dum! They are water nipple chickens, YES!

Last edited:
They use em at my feed store for all their chicks n turkeys. I start em as soon as they get to my house. Never had a problem. If you tap it and let drop of water run on end they see and try it. I've gotten chicks from places with fountain waters and makes no difference in time it takes for chicks to use it. One chick tries it they all follow. I love em.

Last edited:
Question for those in the know, when temps start getting 95+ I'm thinking of putting their old waterer back in the coop, so they have two sources of water, nipple bucket in run, floor waterer in coop. Just because it gets HOT here. Any problem with that idea? Will they stop using nipple bucket?

Quote: More Waters Always better, Frozen Cherry Tomatoes iz a Fun Time, watch as chase. & play keep-a-way . . . Melons just as fun to watch. As they drink More water from bucket , I added a Non Metal Pan of water Low enough to cover feet, not enough for ducks to swim. in Bottom of Run with bricks. I think chicken regulate temp with feet.

Back
Top Bottom