Question about Lavender Orpingtons

PineHavenMama

Chirping
Apr 23, 2020
Hello, all. I am just getting back into chickens after many years. Since my favorites were Orpingtons, that’s what I decided to start with. I just purchased some Silver-laced Orpington chicks yesterday. I was able to see the flock they came from and felt good about them.

I’m supposed to pick up some Lavenders later this week. I saw the rooster and noticed that the feathers around the neck had a bit of a yellow tinge to them. I’ve read there are splits and true Lavenders and don’t know how to tell the difference. In researching online, some of the photos do show a bit of this coloring in the neck area of the Lavender Roosters. Wondering if someone had experience or information to share on this topic? Thanks so much.

A split to lavender would carry lavender but not show it, you need two lavender genes so a split would only have one. I'm not sure about the yellow, I've never had lavender birds. I'm sure someone how knows better will be able to give the answer.

A split to lavender would carry lavender but not show it, you need two lavender genes so a split would only have one. I'm not sure about the yellow, I've never had lavender birds. I'm sure someone how knows better will be able to give the answer.
Thank you. I tried searching the site for this information, but I’m fairly new and not sure I understand everything about how it works.

It isn't desirable.
Worse case scenario is he has another pattern underneath along with the desired extended black. Could be Birchen.
Best case scenario is that he is missing a melaniser gene that makes a black bird completely black.
It's hard to say exactly but he is showing leakage which should nt be there.

It isn't desirable.
Worse case scenario is he has another pattern underneath along with the desired extended black. Could be Birchen.
Best case scenario is that he is missing a melaniser gene that makes a black bird completely black.
It's hard to say exactly but he is showing leakage which should nt be there.
Thank you. I will try to share a photo of one of their birds and maybe you can verify if that is what I’m seeing.

Attachments

• CEEA989A-997A-4B44-9325-A6DE816EE401.jpeg
    CEEA989A-997A-4B44-9325-A6DE816EE401.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom