Question about law in NC town

Lisa7907

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 20, 2010
Hi all. I am new here and have a question that I hope you can help me with.

According to zoning laws where I live, I am allowed to have "poultry or pets, on a scale not objectionable to neighbors." However, another ordinance, the animal control ordinance, states that "No person may have or keep livestock within the Town." That document defines livestock as, "cattle, mules, horses, pigs, goats, chickens, ducks, turkey, and rabbits, and all other animals kept primarily for productive purposes." I wish to keep a few chickens purely as pets, not for productive purposes. As I interpret this ordinance, it is not saying you cannot have a pet rabbit or chicken. It means you cannot keep them primarily for production. Am I correct?

Thanks!
smile.png

Quote:
You are incorrect.

You can have them only if your neighbors don't call animal control as far as the town is concerned.

Animal control seems to think otherwise.

You have conflicting laws, a court is the only place to get that settled short of having the town change the animal control ordinance.

You should contact your town council (or whatever that bunch of elected "officials" are called in the town) representative and request that the wording in the animal control ordinance be changed to to remove the words chicken, ducks, and turkeys since they are permitted in zoning code.

Tell them the wording is contradictory and you wish that they correct the obvious errors.

Your backup is to file suit asking the court to strike down the animal control wording that is in conflict with the zoning code.

Quote:
i'm not lisa, but i too live in NC.....carteret county. and in my part of the neighborhood, chickens are not allowed. i still have 4 hens
hide.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
i'm not lisa, but i too live in NC.....carteret county. and in my part of the neighborhood, chickens are not allowed. i still have 4 hens
hide.gif

hi, "im not lisa"......reminds me of a song i once knew....lol....any ways....i live in nc too, i had my chickens for 4 yrs, with no complaints, but i ended up having to rehome all my chickies , i tried to change the laws, but without success,if you like you can read my threads they are up here.

Back
Top Bottom