Question about lettuce seeds

Chickies11

Songster
Jan 30, 2021
East Massachusetts
Hi, I have a quick question about some lettuce seeds I bought yesterday. My average last frost date is May 1 and I'm in zone 6. I'm almost done with my raised bed garden, the dirt is coming this week and then I just need to put a fence around it. I was wondering if I could plant the lettuce seeds outside in my raised bed? Or, should I start them inside in some egg cartons and then move them outside in a week or two? Also, if I do plant them from seeds outside, will they be okay with no fence for a week? Will animals even notice plants that small? Thanks in advance!

Also, this is unrelated but are patio tomatoes just determinate tomatoes? I want to buy some determinate tomatoes and I saw some labeled patio, so I was wondering if they were the same thing.

Lettuce is easier to direct seed IMO, especially if you want more than just a few plants. I wouldn't worry about the fence unless you know something's been getting into the bed and messing around in there (i.e. chickens!) Crows will sometimes get in my bed and pull out labels and plants but they haven't messed with the lettuce (they seem to have a vendetta against my radishes though).

Not sure on the "patio tomatoes" - just a guess but I'd assume they'd be more compact plants that would tolerate growing in a pot.

Lettuce and other “salad bases” usually do better if you plant them in their permanent home, you shouldn’t have to worry about frost but always have some plant covers ready Incase Mother Nature has a mood swings.

I believe patio tomatoes are a tomato plant that has been developed to happily grown in a container. Probably grows more upright, a bit less bushy, and might have cherry size to small Roma size tomatoes depending on the variety of tomato. Does it say what kind of tomato or just patio?

Lettuce is easier to direct seed IMO, especially if you want more than just a few plants. I wouldn't worry about the fence unless you know something's been getting into the bed and messing around in there (i.e. chickens!) Crows will sometimes get in my bed and pull out labels and plants but they haven't messed with the lettuce (they seem to have a vendetta against my radishes though).

Not sure on the "patio tomatoes" - just a guess but I'd assume they'd be more compact plants that would tolerate growing in a pot.
Okay, thank you for all your advice! I will probably just plant them directly outside then.

Lettuce and other “salad bases” usually do better if you plant them in their permanent home, you shouldn’t have to worry about frost but always have some plant covers ready Incase Mother Nature has a mood swings.

I believe patio tomatoes are a tomato plant that has been developed to happily grown in a container. Probably grows more upright, a bit less bushy, and might have cherry size to small Roma size tomatoes depending on the variety of tomato. Does it say what kind of tomato or just patio?
I forget if they said what kind of tomato, I can always just ask when I go back. Thanks for all your help!

Lettuce is easy to direct sow. It won’t sprout if the soil temp is over 80 in the summer though. Lettuce can actually be direct sowed about a month or 2 before the last frost date here. Almost all varieties can take a hard frost and lots can take a hard freeze with some damage. Most will survive to around 20F Some are more hardy but those are usually types of romaine or butter lettuce.

Lettuce is easy to direct sow. It won’t sprout if the soil temp is over 80 in the summer though. Lettuce can actually be direct sowed about a month or 2 before the last frost date here. Almost all varieties can take a hard frost and lots can take a hard freeze with some damage. Most will survive to around 20F Some are more hardy but those are usually types of romaine or butter lettuce.
Thank you I will plant them soon!

I agree it is easy to direct seed lettuce. I have some old sheets that I throw over lettuce and stuff when a frost is predicted, especially young tender plants. I've had lettuce get "bit" by frost where some leaves wilt and die. It may be able to liv through a frost or freeze, but just a little extra protection.

Back
Top Bottom