question about LIME

chickenmomva

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
Northern Neck,VA
If you use Hydrated lime will it hurt the chickens? My friend uses it in the dog pens and the dogs are ok with it and they have puppies too and they all seem to be fine.........if we use hydrated or any other kind of lime will the eggs be safe to eat?????

You must till it in well and/or allow it to be rained into the ground or it will be caustic on their feet, but you can use it to keep down odors and bad organisms in the soil. You could also use agricultural lime which isn't as bad on their feet, but it is less effective, I understand.

thanks for the info I think I will just use in the yuck that drains in the back of the run that the chickens avoid and the flys love ................

We had 7 tons of AG lime delivered. It was fairly cheap, and let me tell you....7 tons goes a LONG way!! We put it around the bottom of the fence. When this stuff gets wet....then drys... it hardens almost like concrete. We put it in the floor of the coops....they are all on dirt/AG lime flooring. This stuff looks like a fine gravel. There is still about 3 tons of it out under the old willow....and the free range hens and roos LOVE to dust bath in it. They have all summer, and everyone seems happy and healthy. ( well, untill this heat wave...eggs are coming slower)

Back
Top Bottom