question about location and incubating...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jessika, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I read before about seasonal issues (summer vs winter) incubating but what about location (natural humidity, elevation). Is it really hard to incubate in high elevation?

Tonight I am checking on weather report before bed and notice it says 90% humidity right now, 58 F. I have good humidity in both bators right now....but I haven't added water in ages. Any advice on high humidity areas?

*edited to note that i just worked 9 hours and I am unwinding so excuse terrible grammar in post...lol...I am getting sleepy finally!*

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

We have a friend of ours who lives in Colorado and is raising lavender Silkies, and I think she does have problems with the altitude.... I dont know specifics though.

3. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    So long as your humidity is holding in a good spot, I wouldn't worry about it. If I don't add water every few days mine would drop to the teens, so I check it a couple of times a day. If you don't have to add water, bonus for you! There are threads with suggestions on how to fix a bator with humidity that is too high without the edition of water--that's not a problem I have to deal with, lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by