question about meds with newly hatched chicks

ChuckenGirl

Songster
12 Years
Dec 22, 2007
Maryland :)
When a chick hatches out of an egg, when dried and put in the brooder box you give them medicated chick feed or regular?

Then do we give them vaccinations for anything?
this will be the first time we hatch eggs out of an incubator im "oh-so" curious

Feed them starter; I prefer unmedicated until a problem with Coccidiosis occurs. You can vaccinate at any time after they are fluffy. Vaccines usually come in 1,000 doses per vial. If I have a new hatch due in a couple weeks I wait for them. Vaccine once hydrated has to be stored at room temp ,and incinerated when disposed of. Newcastle is drops which is easy in the eye; booster of this as they get older. Mareks disease is most fatal as chicks; so sooner the better as far as protection. I buy through Jefferslivestock.com.

Last edited:
Hi ad good luck with the new babies. Yes I feed them medicated chick starter, and always fresh cool water.

Vaccinating is up to the individual.
Some breed for resistance, and opt not to.
It is best to check with your local Ag. Department and see what sort of poulty diseases they recommend vaccinating for.

The best to you and your babies.
K.

Great question i was wondring myself. I'm not clear on that I have a broody silkie setting on eggs (she) the mamma hen did have mediacted mash when she was a chick, not sure if she will pass a immunity on to her chicks or not, also If I feed mediacated to her chicks is it ok for her mamma hen to eat mediacted also ?

There is no immunity to be passes from feeding medicated chick starter. If the hen eats the chick feed, that is fine. It will not hurt her. Some even feed medicated up to a year of age. or point of lay.

K.

Back
Top Bottom