question about mixing polish with other breeds

whatsup chickenbutt

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
I know everyone says to be careful about mixing polish with the other breeds because they will get picked on, but I was wondering, In the spring I plan on turning about a 30' x 40' coral into all chicken yard, (plus they already have two other 15x8 chicken yards, all would be combined) into one big chicken yard. Do you think that would be enough space to keep them from bothering the polish? I have 6 polish, 2 are roos, and the rest of my flock are hens (12 of them, mixed breeds). I would still have two separate coops, polish are in one, and the others are in the other, but all would be able to access either coop at anytime.
What do you think?

by the way, their coops are separated by a chain link fence now, so they have seen each other since October.

I have 2 Polish that do just fine w/ all of my others. The only time I had a prob was when they were very little and the others were intrigued with their head feathers. They're fast enough to get away from the others now though. Heaven forbid if my blue cochin ever had to run though, forget it.
lol.png

My brother-in-law had 2 polish with 4 barred rocks, 2 black cochins, and 2 phoenix. The polish got picked on pretty bad to the point he had to separate them. Now he has 14 polish in a separate coop and run.

Hi,

I have one Polish hen with 3 Leghorns, 7 Silkies, 1 EE, 2 Frizzles, and 1 small Bantam (don't know what breed) and this unlikely group gets along fine! I don't think the Polish has ever been picked on. Good luck! Genie

I have had Polish in with my "real" chickens and they have all been fine! The only issue I've had is when they are chicks, the Polish seem to be pushed away from the food more so than the other chicks, and I'm not sure if they are dumb or what but I have had to separate them from the others so they get enough to eat!

Back
Top Bottom