Question about my blue chick...

mandylovespets

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
I got this chick on Easter and someone suggested to me that it's a White Leghorn... At what age do White Leghorn pullets normally start to grow their tail feathers? Only because I heard that pullets will grow their tail feathers weeks before the males. Here is a pic of my chick, it's almost 3 weeks old. And has four toes. What does it look like to you?...
NEW036.jpg
NEW030.jpg
NEW034.jpg

The feathering time varies from breed to breed. It is a way to judge the sex but is by no means accurate. I think you are just going to have to wait a few weeks. Watch the comb, that is really the best way to tell. If it turns red or pink in a couple of weeks chances are good that you have a boy. If not hang on to it a little while longer and watch it. Just keep in mind some boys are late bloomers and some girls develop early so you will just have to wait and see.

Good Luck

That is true on some breeds not all about the tails.

I do however if I remember correctly that leghorns are one of the breeds that you can pick out that way. At 3 weeks it should have it tail already if it is a pullet. The tail is one of the first things to grow in.

In a few more weeks you will know for sure!

Boy, he sure is a bright chick! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that I 'agree' w/dyeing, but it sure is pretty w/the blue everywhere except it's wings...too bad that's not his natural color eh?
smile.png

Thanks sooo much everyone, very valuable information!!! Well I was hoping for my chick to be a pullet because my nextdoor neighbor's house is like 15 feet from ours, UGH!, which brings me to my next question... Do you have any suggestions as to which breed doesn't fly. I kind of want to get a couple of chicks that will lay a lot of eggs, but I don't want them to have to be caged up during the day... I like BO's but someone said they are kind of flighty, any that you know of that don't fly?

Try Orpingtons, Australorps, Brahmas, Delawares, RIRs, Cochins (not great layers but cool) Barred Rocks, Wyandottes and Speckled Sussex. There are many more. Check out Henderson's Chart , it will give you good info on each breed.

Back
Top Bottom