Question about my cockerel GREY & RED combs???

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by tysonandperdue, May 24, 2011.

1. tysonandperdue

tysonandperdue Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2007
    New Jersey
    I have a healthy 14 week old lavender orpington cockerel....his combs are a mixture of GREY and RED. Will his combs turn ALL RED when he matures or will they always be a mixture of grey and red? See photos below. Rooster is on the right in the 1st photo. I have had different breeds of chickens for over a dozen years and my cockerels always had red coombs (never a mixture of two colors). Is this a flaw? [​IMG] Any answers would be very much appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  2. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    From my expirience, my Black Japaneese hen has a grey and red comb. It is still that way and she's old [​IMG]

3. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I have two lav orp boys and both of them have pinkish red combs but I have a blue andy with a grayish pink comb kinda like your boy

4. tysonandperdue

tysonandperdue Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2007
    New Jersey
    Thank you so much for your replies. I was hoping the combs would change to bright red.

I'd be curious to know if anyone owned a young cockerel whose comb was red/grey in the beginning and when he matured to a rooster his comb changed to bright red.

Last edited: May 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by