Question About Nesting Boxes...

Devyn Nagy

Crowing
Jun 2, 2020
Michigan, USA
I have 6 young hens who aren't quite laying yet. Every night they cram themselves into their nesting boxes. There is a TON of poop in there. I don't want eggs sitting in that, of course. Is there a way to discourage this, or will they just stop pooping in there when they start laying? Any info is appreciated.
(Here's a picture of the setup.)
1601415646370.png

Last edited:
I have 6 young hens who aren't quite laying yet. Every night they cram themselves into their nesting boxes.
How long have they been sleeping in the nests?
Did you raise the birds from day old chicks?

Block off their nesting boxes until they are close to laying. Where are your roosts in relation to your nesting boxes? Maybe a pic of the setup?
Ditto Dat!
Yes, pics please.

Block off their nesting boxes until they are close to laying. Where are your roosts in relation to your nesting boxes? Maybe a pic of the setup?
THIS! Close it off until they are at least 15 weeks old and even then you may have to wait since they've be trained they can sleep/poop in there.

And make sure the roosting bar where the nesting boxes are, is higher than the boxes. Chickens like the higher ground (3 to 4 ft height, depending on breed) so that they gravitate towards the bar and not the boxes.

Chickens poop where they sleep. :sick They don’t stop doing that when they lay eggs.

What breed do you have? How old are they? Did hou let them practice to roost?

Its better if they roost for hygienic reasons. Can you upload a few pictures of the setup?

Like drinkoj said....the roost bar should be higher than the nesting box. Significantly higher. Close off the nesting boxes now. Staple an old empty feed bag over them. How many birds do you have?

Chickens poop where they sleep. :sick They don’t stop doing that when they lay eggs.

What breed do you have? How old are they? Did hou let them practice to roost?

Its better if they roost for hygienic reasons. Can you upload a few pictures of the setup?
I have Golden Laced Wyandottes, and they are about 19 weeks old. We have a roost, but I may need to raise it. A picture has been added to the original post.

Back
Top Bottom