question about nesting boxes

I filled mine with pine shavings, put in golf balls, and added a curtain to the front, they like privacy!
I had a problem with hidden nests, so I kept them on lock down for a few extra hours and added the curtain,
problem solved..now they all lay in the boxes, sometimes 2 girls in one box, and the others waiting for the
box they like!

Last edited:
Good luck. My 3 stupid hens won't use our nest box. They've been laying for 2-3 months and refuse to lay in ours no matter what I have done. Golf balls still in there bedding still in there I've even put them up there as they were ready to lay and totally upset them in the process. My normally quiet girls can get REALLY loud when you fuss with them when they are about to lay an egg.

I've had a few hens that were laying in the floor instead of the nest box. Only one at a time, thankfully. When I caught them in their nest on the floor, I locked them in a nest until they laid in there. It usually took a half hour and usually only once, but I did have one stubborn hen that took three hours to lay her egg and I had to do it again the next day. But even she learned.

I use straw but you don't want to use hay.

Make sure they are below the level of your roost or they might sleep in them and if they do that they will poo in them. Also, they should be 'private'. In other words they should be enclosed some and away from their common areas. I personally don't see the need for a curtain but that is up to you. You really don't need the false egg (again, my opinion) if your nesting boxes are set up properly they will instintively use them.

These pics were before my run was completed in the Spring but you'll get the idea. Also, there is now a 2x4 that goes across the front f the nesting boxes to close them in a little and help keep the straw in.

82286_dscf0117.jpg

82286_dscf0015.jpg

82286_dscf0027.jpg

Last edited:
I'm fairly green myself for I've only had chickens since this spring also. I was raised being around them on my grandparents farm but didn't realize what actually went it.....I was too busy feeding & chasing them. I must say I love this site for everyone is so helpful!! Just wait till you get first egg!! You'll be dancing a jig....I was!! lol

cravenchx, when I read that you use pinestraw it brought back memories. I grew up in the Piedmont Sandhills of NC and raked a LOT of pinestraw as a kid!

M.sue :

I had mine ready and open at 18 wk. I put a golf ball in each. I use pine shavings in the boxes and on the coop floor. I did put a few of mine in there when I first opened them just to see what they'd do but chickens are curious and nosey and they'll figure it out on their own. When they do start laying don't be surprised if you find an egg or two on the floor...it happens but like I said they get the hang of it.

We had the same issues with ours. We had a black australorp that just refused to lay in the next boxes. One day she laid before one of our birds that lays everyday in the next boxes, so our trusty hen laid her egg right next to the BA's in the middle of the coop
sad.png

The golf ball trick didn't work at all for us. We picked up some porcelain eggs(I imagine any fake eggs would do) and it was like magic. They went from using 1 nest box to using 3/4(have used all 4 now) just about everday and that change was basically over night. Even our new layers haven't put one on the floor since.​

Last edited:
Quote:
I would agree with that. Our first hen used the boxes right away and so did some of our other breeds, without and fake eggs. We did have 1 chicken that really wasn't the brightest, she sometimes has difficulty figuring out how to get out of their smaller run... She insisted on laying on the ground, the fake eggs corrected her behavior immediately.

Back
Top Bottom