question about nesting boxes

lorain's fids :

Quote:
what did you make the curtain out of?

just a piece of old material...folded it lengthwise, and stapled it over the front of the nest boxes, they push under it to get inside...when I go out to look for eggs, I get all sorts of lip from the ones sitting! So I lower it back down and come back later!​

I have been getting eggs for almost 2 months, 4 boxes for 14 hens. And my largest BR still has a hissy fit is someone is in her favorite nest box. My 4 year old heard the egg song, so I went out & Buffy (BO) is in nest box 4, and Fiesta (BR) is pacing back I forth Brawk Brawk Brawking for all she is worth. I told her, there are 3 others to choose from, so settle down & make your choice! She picked #2, and was done in 15 min, but spent a good 20 min having her temper tantrum.

3 days ago, we had 4 use the same box, went out to find 4 nice eggs all nesting together, then 3 hrs later 2 in another box.

My girls are partial to nest box 2 & 4. I also use the pine shavings, and change it out about every 2 weeks.

Since Sept 1st, we are up to 105 eggs, one hen laying the first month, 3 in the last 3 weeks, and once in a great while will the egg count drop to 3 eggs. For the last 2 weeks, 5 - 6 eggs a day.
celebrate.gif

Quote:
what did you make the curtain out of?

just a piece of old material...folded it lengthwise, and stapled it over the front of the nest boxes, they push under it to get inside...when I go out to look for eggs, I get all sorts of lip from the ones sitting! So I lower it back down and come back later!

I used black plastic, stapled to the top of the box, then
split it down the middle and folded it back and stapled
again. Looks kinda halloweenish!

Back
Top Bottom