Question about newborn-help PIC-graphic?

LinckHillPoultry

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hi everyone. I have a chick that hatched today. It appears to be a hen.
I noticed she has an umbilical cord connected to something that looks like dried blood stuck on her bumhole. I don't think it's an organ. She is chirping and running around and looking healthy. Is it something that will dry up and fall out? Plus what if she has to go to the bathroom?

Thanks,
Haley

Last edited:
Yeah, just leave it alone. It should dry up and then you can take scissors or finger nail clippers (sterile) and clip it close to the fuzz so the others don't peck at it.

Yeah, it's likely just from hatching and it didn't come off all of the way. If it's completelly dry, you can go ahead and do it...don't pull it, though! Just clip it a little.

Does it just look like, for instance, a placenta cord and not actual inside body parts? If so, you should be fine to trim it.

Last edited:
I don't think it is an organ... I'm not sure though. But I'm sure that the one part is the umbilical cord. It looked like it had dry poop on it earlier, but I took the poop off of it. I wanted to put a picture on to see what you guys' opinions were but my other computer with my camera setup is in use... I'm downstairs on the other pc lol.
Now she looks pretty healthy. She's sleeping in my lap right now.
Do you think I could clip the umbilical cord off and observe if the piece in her bumhole falls out? It should I think. Plus I don't want it to prevent her from having to do her duty.

I think that should be fine.
smile.png
The part on her bum is not pasty butt, is it?

When chicks are little, sometimes their poo will stick to their bum and it can clog them up. If they cannot poo, they will die and when the poo sticks to their bum, it clogs them up so they cannot go. You'll have to wet it (baby wipe, paper towel, etc.) and slowly remove it or they won't make it.

Back
Top Bottom