Question about NPIP.

Let me put all the questions on here to rest. Got the NPIP website

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/

It has all the info about the program on it,(as well as tons of additional info, like import/export and so on) has state by state listing of e-mails for the proper contact in each state to get your certification. The individual state contacts will be able to tell exactly what is required to get certified in your state, cost, etc...

At the bottom of the home page, very last sentence, how to become a NPIP participant, click that and you'll be on your way!

Hope this helps,
Aubrey

Last edited:
I'm in the process and in contact with my State Vet. He actually lives just down the road from me it turns out.

They won't test any birds under 16 weeks here in NC. Any chicks hatched from birds on your property are considered clean if all adults pass though. Provided no birds have left the property in X amount of time, I have no idea what amount of time that is though.... my birds haven't been off the property since I bought them as day olds.

I do have eggs in my incubator that are not from NPIP flocks that I can prove so I'm not sure what's going to happen with that as far as getting certified.

I'll have to get in touch with him on that. I couldn't resist.

Charge is .10cents a bird, with a $5 max. You are tested once a year if you are showing. Every 90 days for Pullorum and AI to keep your NPIP cert current if you are selling.

Laney

NPIP is very expensive in Texas.
The pullorum-typhoid is free, but all the other tests have to be done by an approved avian vet. The other things to test for, are decided by the state, and if you buy and sell birds, you have to be tested often. I was told the cost would be up to $5.00 a bird.
With having around 400 chickens at all times, there was no way we could afford that every few months.

I wonder if there is a confusion with the pullorum-typhoid testing being thought of as NPIP certified?

I thought NPIP was a nationwide program, not state regulated, because it is run by USDA.

Here in Texas, in order to sell at an auction, swap meet, farmers market, etc., you have to have a clean pullorum-typhoid test (free or $25.00, depending on whether you sell out of state) every year, or more often if you purchase birds that have not been tested,
and a Certificate of Registration for Domestic & Exotic Fowl from Texas Animal Health (cost is from $25.00 - $750.00 a year depending on how many birds you have and what you do with them). They come and inspect every year before we can re-new the certificate.

After paying for that, there is no way we could afford to be NPIP certified.

If you want to sell eating eggs, there is another whole process you have to go through with USDA, and more fees to pay.

Jean

Sounds like Texas wants to discourage people from being NPIP Certified. Sad.
sad.png

In Ohio the NPIP test is only for pullorum/typhoid and I beleve that the State Vet. does the test for A/I..

Chris

Yep, from what I have seen and recently read on it, the NPIP is just for Pullorum/typhoid. The A.I. test are not requied, but SOME individual states do require it for state laws, (i do not think Texas is one of them though, as I know tons of breeders in Texas). The testing for A.I. from what I have heard is pretty high, but again, not part of the NPIP certification process.
Maybe Pine Grove can help on that topic? Pine Grove, I PM'ed you too by the way....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom