1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Question about Poults and Snoods....

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Bleenie, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I have noticed recently that a couple of my poults have bigger snoods than the other 3.. I am wondering if maybe those are possibly males? or is it just wishful thinking [​IMG]

Forgot to add that they're Blue Slates.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Hey Bleenie! [​IMG] I dont know but thats how I tell my midget whites apart-male has a snood that is starting to hang over to one side. [​IMG] My first turkey experience so it's all new to me!

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

The 2 i am thinking are males both have snoods that are a little bigger and more erect than the others..one of them is definitely bigger than the others though too..the 2nd is very close to being in the middle(size wise) of the big one and the "girls". My first Turkeys too!

4. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Songster

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    How old are they? I didn't think I could see much difference in the snoods until about 10 weeks. Then the males snoods start to grow. I have one Bourbon Red that i think is a tom but it has a short snood still at 12 weeks. But by 10 weeks, snoods, caruncles, and waddles are mostly distinct enough to make pretty good guesses. I'm still not convinved about that odd B Red, though.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

They're maybe 3 weeks old? so still very young but there's 1 thats been bigger since hatch and this other one has finally caught up to it and both their feet look a little bigger too.

6. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Songster

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Wow. If you can sex them accurately at three weeks you are a better observer than me. At that time I'm still [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by