Question about pressure canning...help!!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by pacountrygirl, Jul 28, 2008.

1. pacountrygirl

pacountrygirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    We're doing roma beans and when we remove them from the canner alot of the water seems to be escaping from the jars. We've done three batches and can't figure out what we're doing wrong. [​IMG] This is the first time we've used a pressure canner. We're doing them at 11 pounds of pressure for 25 min. according to the booklet that came with it. Also, ours doesn't make any noise from the steam. Everyone's been telling me they make a tapping noise and I don't hear a thing [​IMG] Any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    When you end the 25 min pressure time turn the heat off and walk away. It could take 30 minutes or longer for the pot to cool and the pressure to release. Don't do anything to make the cooling go along faster. This functuating temp is breaking your seal and forcing the liquids out. It has to cool on its own. It is cooling too fast and forcing the liquid from your jars making a bad seal.

3. pacountrygirl

Mar 11, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks Prissy, that's it! At the end of the process he was in a hurry (we had 5 more canners to do) and he was "helping" the steam to escape. [​IMG] I knew you would have the answer. Thanks so much... [​IMG]

4. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Anne and some of her nieces and friends are going to be canning soon, Friday I think. How can you tell for sure that it has cooled enough?

5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    After waiting about 30 min., as MP said, I tap the pressure valve, if it makes a noise, I leave it longer. I had this problem with my first batch too. Also, make sure you leave enough head room in those jars, you'll need a little extra if you live 1000 ft. or more over sea level.

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    When you can easily open the canner. Do not force it open or help the steam escape or cool the canner down by running water over it!

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Guess I'd better not have DH help when I start actual canning. He's not the most patient person.
    He threw my freezer jelly in the freezer before it gelled. So now we almost have freezer syrup instead [​IMG]

8. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    We wait until the gauge reads 0, then tap the gauge and if it doesn't hiss, and the lid is easy to remove, then they are cool enough to be removed. THEY ARE STILL SCALDING HOT, please remember that. I'd hate for someone to get burned because I said "cool enough...." They still bubble for a little while when we move them around. Also, please be careful as they can still explode (we had that happen about 2 yrs ago). My kids are not allowed around when we can.

Good luck with canning everyone! We've got about 1/2 our beans finished for the year [​IMG].

9. pacountrygirl

Mar 11, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I want to thank everyone for their help. Below are pics of what happens to beans when you try and hurry the pressure canner along and how nice they turn out by following the instructions and advice from you gals... thanks again [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  10. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

This is Joe's wife, Anne.

Some friends and I had our first run at canning green beans with the All-American yesterday. Now I have lots of questions. [​IMG]

If some the liquid leaked out (even though we let the canner cool as you all advised), but the jars seem sealed, do we need to reprocess them?

When you reprocess, do you put on new lids? I'm guessing you should.

Is it OK if some jars seem browner than others? Is that from the shell-outs? The Romas aren't brown, only the Top Crop. But they're not all the same color.

Has anyone else had trouble turning the canner lid after processing? After Joe got it turned, with the help of a hammer, it came right off, so I don't think it was stuck from a vacuum.

On the second batch, we forgot to allow the seven minutes for exhausting (steam? air?). The canner got hotter than it should have, steam was escaping through the seal, and the weight never did jiggle. This morning, all but three quarts seem to be sealed. What do you think?

Thanks in advance. Sure wish my mother were still around to ask all these questions. I watched her can many times; just didn't pay attention.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by