Question about Providing Feed Inside and Outside of Coop?

DeBerryJacket

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2017
DeBerry, TX
Hi

I just recently moved my chicks out to their coop and pen/run. I have looked but could never find a good answer. Do you provide food inside the coop and outside in the pen/run? Just inside? Just outside?

Thanks in advance.

Short answer. Everyone does it different, whatever works for you. As long as they have access to food and fresh water during daylight hours they are good.

Much of the year I put feed and water in the run only. It makes the chickens get up and about in cold weather. In summer when I have problems with prairie dogs eating feed I sometimes put it in the coop instead where they can't get to it. I still keep the water in the run to keep the moisture out of the coop.

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

The pirate usually gives great answers... and this is no different! There is NO one perfect answer except what works for you since we all face different challenges. :highfive:

I keep my feed in the RUN only because I don't wanna clean extra poo indoors. But I might put some feed nearby a broody with NEW hatchlings for a day or two. I collect or secure my feed EVERY night to help avoid unwanted free loading rodent visitors or other predators/pests.

Of course I like to see the challenges others face and how they deal with them. Who knew... prairie dogs?! My silly K9 dogs just LOVE to get their lips on some chicken feed. :p :smack

It really depends; there are many ways which may or may not work for you and your situation. I provide feed inside the coop only to keep the food dry and out of the weather, and I keep the water outside, which forces them to get some exercise running between the two. However, if you wish to feed outside, it is possible to build or buy weather proof feeders. My SO built one for his parents for their ducks who live outside 24/7.

Some people prefer to feed only a certain amount at a time to help reduce the presence of mice and other feed scavengers. Others, like me, prefer to make food available all day (for convenience's sake). It really just depends on what works best for you and your flock :)

Depends entirely on your set up. I use FF. So, they get fed outside if temp gets up over 20*F at mid day. I often put some IN and some OUT during the colder months. I never leave feed outside overnight b/c I don't want to attract rodents or predators. Winter time: water inside, if weather stays above freezing, water out.

It really depends; there are many ways which may or may not work for you and your situation. I provide feed inside the coop only to keep the food dry and out of the weather, and I keep the water outside, which forces them to get some exercise running between the two. However, if you wish to feed outside, it is possible to build or buy weather proof feeders. My SO built one for his parents for their ducks who live outside 24/7.

Some people prefer to feed only a certain amount at a time to help reduce the presence of mice and other feed scavengers. Others, like me, prefer to make food available all day (for convenience's sake). It really just depends on what works best for you and your flock :)
Yes, I like my feed available free choice as much as they want also. But since I live in the Pacific Northwest, we might get just as many rainy days as sunny. So it was pertinent to have my run covered from the get. The front half still gets wet during blowing wind, but I set my feed just out of the usual reach of the weather. :)

Feed and water only in the run. Keeps them outside more. Less poop in. So far the run is free of wild birds, rodents. The ruin is covered so it stays dry except in the worst weather. So far this works for me.

Back
Top Bottom