question about pullets egglaying.........

americana-chick

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 18, 2008
i heard that when pullets or chicks start getting a more redder comb they will start laying eggs? if so i will have some eggs soon!

Yes, bright red combs and wattles are a sign of maturity. Other signs are squatting when touched on the back and interest in the nest boxes.

MOST pullets start laying somewhere between 19-24 weeks...

Hope you get that first egg soon!!

Hello
redder comb is not a true way for start laying!
but this is a sign:
- in males, this is the sign for well fertility and also good body condition!
- in females, this is the sign of good health and nice body condition for quality of the eggs!

My girls from the same hatch, and each developed differently. Some started laying at 17 weeks and the last to lay was at 27 weeks. They all have leg bands so I can keep track of them. Watch their combs and wattles ,when they start turning bright red, they are ready to start laying. Squatting is submissive behavior and also a good indicator they they are getting ready to lay. Also I put a golf ball in each of the nest boxes. Some people put plastic eggs in. I have never had any of them lay out of the boxes. I painted the inside of my nest boxes a dark forest green. I think they like to lay in darker places. I put vents in the nest boxes too, to help with air flow, as I live in Florida and our days are in the 90's.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom