question about pullets egglaying.........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by americana-chick, Aug 4, 2008.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    i heard that when pullets or chicks start getting a more redder comb they will start laying eggs? if so i will have some eggs soon!

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Yes, bright red combs and wattles are a sign of maturity. Other signs are squatting when touched on the back and interest in the nest boxes.

MOST pullets start laying somewhere between 19-24 weeks...

Hope you get that first egg soon!!

3. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    redder combs are a sure way to say,
    that cackle fruit is on the way!

4. ahad

ahad Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2008
    IRAN
    Hello
    redder comb is not a true way for start laying!
    but this is a sign:
    - in males, this is the sign for well fertility and also good body condition!
    - in females, this is the sign of good health and nice body condition for quality of the eggs!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My girls from the same hatch, and each developed differently. Some started laying at 17 weeks and the last to lay was at 27 weeks. They all have leg bands so I can keep track of them. Watch their combs and wattles ,when they start turning bright red, they are ready to start laying. Squatting is submissive behavior and also a good indicator they they are getting ready to lay. Also I put a golf ball in each of the nest boxes. Some people put plastic eggs in. I have never had any of them lay out of the boxes. I painted the inside of my nest boxes a dark forest green. I think they like to lay in darker places. I put vents in the nest boxes too, to help with air flow, as I live in Florida and our days are in the 90's. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by