Question about putting Vaseline on Combs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SandyC, Dec 13, 2007.

1. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

Does the resulting hay that gets all over the Vaseline cause a problem for the chickens??? Also, how often do you have to re apply it? I have some frigid weather on the way and I coated them up today.
  2. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

Any takers here or am I posting in the wrong place for this?
  3. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    I think you probably need to reapply it every day. I noticed a long greasy streak down my rooster's back -- couldn't figure it out until I realized the vaseline was melting off his comb and down his back!

My rooster keeps his head out of the straw, so I haven't had much problem with it sticking. If you put it on at night, they should be sleeping and not flapping around.
  4. mtnchicks

mtnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    I put vaseline on my two rooster's combs, and pine shavings, dirt, etc. will sometimes stick, but it doesn't seem to bother them much. I just consider it extra insulation from the cold! I don't have to apply it every day, because I only put it on when the temps are bitterly cold or there is a windy/cold day, and it stays on for at least 3 days before it gets wiped off or worn off by them. I haven't noticed it melt off of them, but even with the heat lamp on, it doesn't get much above freezing in the henhouse on the coldest nights. I could see how it would melt off if the temp rose enough. I have a Japanese roo and a frizzled black cochin roo. I only use the heat lamp on the coldest nights, and so far they seem to have done o.k. I didn't get vaseline on them for the last cold spell (8 degrees in a.m., 14 in the afternoon) and they didn't get frostbite, but I think they spent more time inside that day. They seem to know when to go in, or at least follow the hens in eventually.
  5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    I wouldn't worry about the hay unless it is causing them to pick at each other.
    I don't apply every day either - every 2-3 days when it is really nippy (like now!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by