Question about Raising Chicks in July

Peepsi

Songster
Apr 1, 2017
Utah
So after two years of lurking here, I am finally getting baby chicks of my own for the first time in my almost-a-half-century life. They are being shipped from MyPetChicken.com on July 23 (hatching on July 22). The journey will take at least two days, possibly three, depending on the mail service.

At first, I didn't think anything of it, but after seeing so many posts here about people getting baby chicks and having several die off for no known reason, I'm getting more and more nervous as the day gets closer. So I have two questions here for the group:

1) Why does everyone raise chicks in the Spring? Is July a bad time to get baby chicks and raise them? I figured they could go outside sooner if they had warm weather outside. But are there downsides to getting chicks in July? (I don't mind if they take longer to produce eggs).

2) What is the death rate for shipped chicks? I remember one post saying that all their chicks that were shipped to them died, because of an excessive cold snap in February. Is it possible for my chicks to all be dead on arrival due to excessive heat? Do shipped chicks have a higher death rate than ones bought from places like Tractor Supply?

I ordered 6 chicks.... I really don't want a batch of dead chicks come July, because obviously, Tractor Supply, IFA, Cal's, etc, will all have no more chicks (they are all almost done now!) and I won't be able to get replacements except through shipping again. I guess I'm just really nervous. I want healthy chicks that don't die. Is MyPetChicken.com a good place to get healthy chicks? Thanks!

I've had chicks shipped in July before and all were healthy/happy on arrival.
If these are your first chicks, have your coop ready and brood them right inside the coop.
Just corral off the corners and close off the nesting boxes.
Likely they may need extra heat at least at night depending on your climate. Make sure they don't overheat during the day and that you have plenty of fresh air circulating.

Chicks can suffer from shipping stress so I usually give each one 1-2 drops of Poultry Nutri-Drench upon arrival and make sure to dip their beak in their water station so they know it's there.

Yes! If your run is secure and they can't fit through the wire, they can go outside in the run. Use your judgement. Chicks can overheat very quickly, so shade would be important on hot days. I would let them out monitored of course, then back into the coop if you're not going to be home.

Wyorp.... thank you so much for your input. They are my first chicks ever. I will probably brood them inside for the first week or two (just because I want to bond with them), and then put them once they outgrow their brooder (it's a big plastic tote). That way, I won't need a grow-out pen inside (yay! I've heard that once they're teenagers, they get rowdy). The coop and run are being built right now, but should be done by the time the chicks arrive.

I would like a few more opinions about the chicks from MyPetChicken.com. Anyone? Are they generally healthy? Has anyone ordered from them before?

So after two years of lurking here, I am finally getting baby chicks of my own for the first time in my almost-a-half-century life. They are being shipped from MyPetChicken.com on July 23 (hatching on July 22). The journey will take at least two days, possibly three, depending on the mail service.

At first, I didn't think anything of it, but after seeing so many posts here about people getting baby chicks and having several die off for no known reason, I'm getting more and more nervous as the day gets closer. So I have two questions here for the group:

1) Why does everyone raise chicks in the Spring? Is July a bad time to get baby chicks and raise them? I figured they could go outside sooner if they had warm weather outside. But are there downsides to getting chicks in July? (I don't mind if they take longer to produce eggs).

2) What is the death rate for shipped chicks? I remember one post saying that all their chicks that were shipped to them died, because of an excessive cold snap in February. Is it possible for my chicks to all be dead on arrival due to excessive heat? Do shipped chicks have a higher death rate than ones bought from places like Tractor Supply?

I ordered 6 chicks.... I really don't want a batch of dead chicks come July, because obviously, Tractor Supply, IFA, Cal's, etc, will all have no more chicks (they are all almost done now!) and I won't be able to get replacements except through shipping again. I guess I'm just really nervous. I want healthy chicks that don't die. Is MyPetChicken.com a good place to get healthy chicks? Thanks!
Hello! I know this is an old thread but super curious how the experience went! I have my chicks hatching July 7 from my pet chicken and would love your feedback!

Hello! I know this is an old thread but super curious how the experience went! I have my chicks hatching July 7 from my pet chicken and am super nervous and scared they won’t survive. First time ordering chicks!!

I just received my 6 chicks from My pet chickens yesterday. One out of 6 died in box. The rest are in very good health and are quite friendly. I believe the chick died from being tossed by the mail carrier. Even I like these chicks, I wouldn't do mail order chicks again based on this experience. I will order from a local breeder.

I just received my 6 chicks from My pet chickens yesterday. One out of 6 died in box. The rest are in very good health and are quite friendly. I believe the chick died from being tossed by the mail carrier. Even I like these chicks, I wouldn't do mail order chicks again based on this experience. I will order from a local breeder.
Thanks so much for the reply!
Ugh that’s exactly what I’m nervous for, but there is no other way for me to get chicks where I am from without a long drive to California.

My wife ordered from a different hatchery so a I can't say about MPC. Anyway, we had expected some to be DOA and a few more die in the first couple of days. All arrived alive and only one died the first night. There are other breeds we want and would order again, but we feel hatching our own fits our needs better. Hope this helps.

:welcome and have fun.

My wife ordered from a different hatchery so a I can't say about MPC. Anyway, we had expected some to be DOA and a few more die in the first couple of days. All arrived alive and only one died the first night. There are other breeds we want and would order again, but we feel hatching our own fits our needs better. Hope this helps.

:welcome and have fun.
Definitely does thank you!

Back
Top Bottom