Question about raising chicks

Shiphted

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
I have a 260 Sq Ft Coop and i will be moving my chicks to when there around 6-8 weeks. But my question is can i move them out there at 2-3 weeks as long as there is 2 heat lamps so they can get warm? The only down side is nights here in Nothern NY are still around 30 and days around 50. Would a heat lamp give them enough heat or should i just build a bigger box for them in my basement haha.

As long as you can provide a safe, warm, draft free environment for them, it doesn't matter where they are. If I had available coop space I surely wouldn't brood mine in the house - love the chicks, HATE the dust! Seeing as that is quite a large coop, you might want to section off a smaller area for a while to help with the efficiency of the heat lamp. Not a very warm spring we're having so far this year is it? Good luck with your chicks!
welcome-byc.gif

You might also want to put a thermometer out with them so that you can kind of gauge the temp. Since you've had them for a couple of weeks already, I'm assuming you're aware of their temperature needs.

Last edited:
You can brood them out in the coop, not a problem. You could just place your brooding box out in the coop and lower the light. The sides of the box help contain the heat just fine. I never brood inside the house.

After 2 or 3 weeks, the weather is getting warmer as May comes, and you could take them out of the box. Keep the lamp until week 5. At that point, my guess is that both the nicer weather of late May and their lack of desire for heat will make for an easy time of it.

Watch out, in fact, that with two heat lamps, and a nice day, they aren't too hot out there.

Last edited:
Yea this spring is sucking so far. My issue right now is i have 35 Chickens 2 Turkeys. They are quickly out growing the 4x4 box and the 2x5 box i currently have them in. I attached the 2 boxes and put a whole in them so they can hop back and forth lol. But when i seperated the big guys from the little guys it seems all the little guys wanna hang out with the big guys. So now ive patched the whole and deciding to coop them i would just have to board up the 3 windows in the coop so there wont be a draft i guess. Thanks for your inputs.

Back
Top Bottom