Question about redosing ivermectin for mites.

Hannahnic14

Crowing
Apr 29, 2021
Middle Tennessee
We've had to resort to ivermectin pour on for a severe mite problem. Do I need to redose the ivermectin in 7-10 days? Or is 1 dose enough? Does it depend on if I see any mites left? I know I have to respray my coop with permethrin in 7 days to catch any that have hatched. Thanks!

I dose 3 times and clean out coop and spray down coop with an insecticide each time I dose them. Ive also had good luck with a pyrethrin dip. I live in a low land area that holds water with high humidity so i get mites every spring. This year I did the dip on top of the treatment and they didnt come back, also a good area for them to dust bath helped out just as good if not better than any treatment Ive done. Best of luck 🤞🤞

I dose 3 times and clean out coop and spray down coop with an insecticide each time I dose them. Ive also had good luck with a pyrethrin dip. I live in a low land area that holds water with high humidity so i get mites every spring. This year I did the dip on top of the treatment and they didnt come back, also a good area for them to dust bath helped out just as good if not better than any treatment Ive done. Best of luck 🤞🤞
Ok thanks! Yea I did a permethrin dip and it didn't budge them.😣 I'm getting a dust bath set up as well. We've burned the inside of the coops and sprayed the dickens out of it. Lol it's been a nightmare.

Ok thanks! Yea I did a permethrin dip and it didn't budge them.😣 I'm getting a dust bath set up as well. We've burned the inside of the coops and sprayed the dickens out of it. Lol it's been a nightmare.

I know the feeling, ive had mites pretty much every year in at least 1 pen since ive had chickens. This year I made sure everyone had the ability to dust off after my spring outbreak and no mites since then! If you can routinely spray inside of coops especially roost and have dust stations you should be better off from here on out 🤞🤞

I give a second dose after 10-14 days to catch the ones that hatch from any eggs on the bird (which aren't impacted by ivermectin), same dose as you use.

I didn't have a way to weigh all 65 of my chickens to dose them, so someone had come up with a "drop method" here on BYC so used that. It was 1-3 drops for bantams depending on size, and 4-6 for standard birds.
That's probably not enough. A full-sized five-pound should get about 0.45 ml.

I use to do the drop method but I noticed the mites seem to come back quickly so to the best if my knowledge I was underdosing them. Below is for Ivermectin pour on 5mg per mL

Ive had best results using the baby medicine syringes for giving medicine to infants orally. I use 0.1mL for every 2.2 lb of birds. I give my female bantams 0.1-0.15mL as a rough guess they weigh 3 lb each, bantam boys get 0.15 mL each and my big hens get 0.3mL and big roosters 0.35-0.4mL

I turn them upside down, pull feathers away from vent and apply on skin around vent since it tends to have less feathers and easier to access than other places. I know you didnt ask for that info lol but wanted to give my recommendations since Ive been through this a lot and this is what worked best for me 👍

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom