1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about Rhode Island Red life span

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stephanielynn, Jan 15, 2013.

1. stephanielynn

stephanielynn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Due to my job, I work about 8 hours away from my animals who include a small flock of chickens. About a week and a half ago, my husband told me that my beloved Rhode Island Red rooster, Wooster, had passed on. He turned 6 in September and was such a sweet and special boy. Wooster was not a typical rooster. He was a sweetheart and was good to his hens and to people, especially to me.

I know that my husband didn't take care of them as well as I had and do when I'm able to visit but hope that it wasn't due to his or my negligence. I read that the average life span for Rhode Island Reds is 4-8 years, and 6 falls in that range, so I suppose that wasn't bad.

Around Thanksgiving, while I was still overseas, my eldest RIR hen passed on. She was also 6 years old.

Can anyone tell me if that life span is accurate?

Thank you.
    [​IMG]

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    6 years is very good!! So sorry for you loss.

1 person likes this.
  3. 20736

20736 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    Yes, 6 is average for RIR in my experience.
    He looks happy, and I am sure in chicken Valhalla he is telling stories of how good you were to him.
    Like all of us, I to am sorry for your loss.

1 person likes this.
  4. stephanielynn

Jul 30, 2011
    Thank you Willow and 20736. That helps ease some of my guilt and sorrow. Here's another one of my boy and me (summer 2010). It looks like I was handling him roughly but I wasn't. : -) I would always give him kisses on his neck and wattles. : -)

[​IMG]

5. stephanielynn

Jul 30, 2011
    Thank you Willow and 20736. That helps ease some of my guilt and sorrow. Here's another one of my boy and me (summer 2010). : -)
    [​IMG]

6. stephanielynn

Jul 30, 2011
    Sorry - that was supposed to say, "Thank you Willowbranchfarm. That helps. : -)"

7. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Thanks

8. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    hi, I have 6 hens that i raised from chicks that are all approaching 6 years. no - they don't lay many eggs - maybe 1 a month or so. no - they aren't quite as fluffy and soft as they used to be.
    no- they aren't very spritey and lively. But, i do love them and I feel for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by