Question about RIRs ???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by waterguy81, May 5, 2011.

1. waterguy81

waterguy81 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    Southwest Louisiana
    I have seen many posts about "Production Birds" and Natural birds or Strands.

One of the many reasons I got RIRs is because they are a dual purpose bird. (eggs, meat, & show)

I was told that the production strand or type RIR is made for better laying and not as big (for meat).

Is this true, and how do I tell the difference ?

Who supplies the Natural type (dual purpose RIRs)

I got a straight run from my local feed store. So, I don't really know which mine are.

Hope you can help me with understanding this better.

Thanks

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:
    I was told that the production strand or type RIR is made for better laying and not as big (for meat).

correct.
    Is this true, and how do I tell the difference ?

Above
    Who supplies the Natural type (dual purpose RIRs)

True breeders with quality stock.
    I got a straight run from my local feed store. So, I don't really know which mine are.

Production type, because you got them from a feed store.
    One of the many reasons I got RIRs is because they are a dual purpose bird. (eggs, meat, & show)

Then you want to get them from a good breeder, not hatchery. Pine grove, Chris09, Bob Blosl (he knows where to get them) and others have nice, true RIR.

Mitch [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  3. Timmy

Timmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    texas
    Ok so the birds you got from the feed store more than likely came from a hatchery witch would make them production type birds. Production birds are not necessarily pure RIR and more than likely are cross bred to make a better layer. Like you said they are great for laying and not as big. That doesn't mean you can't use them as dual purpose . They will probably mature faster than heritage type reds so they may make a better dual purpose breed for you. As far as showing goes production birds are not show birds. If you want show birds you will need to get true RIRs. Here's a link to the heritage RIR thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=407294

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by