Question about rooster's beak

FarmerWife

Songster
9 Years
Oct 27, 2010
Good Morning,
I have a question, I'm not a chicken veteran, so I don't quite know what to do about this, and I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place, but here goes. My rooster has what looks like over growth of his beak, it's curved over. He's eating ok for now, but I don't want it to become an issue. How do I take care of this, do I file it down, or clip it off. I was afraid to clip it and go too far. How do I prevent this from happening again? Hope someone has experience with this and can help. Hope you all have a great day.

Blessings,
Dianna in NM

This is fairly common - you can just trim the beak with nail clippers, taking off only a tiny bit. The beak contains a lot of nerve endings, and you can hurt your rooster and he can bleed everywhere if you "quick" him trimming his beak. If you just trim off the little bit that overhangs, he should be fine. If you are afraid to trim, you can file it, but trimming is faster, and he may prefer that. Chickens wipe their beaks on the ground to clean them, to keep the beak sharp, and to prevent overgrowth. If your rooster has no access so something hard on the ground to wipe his beak on, you may want to put something in their pen - a large flat stone, a cinder block, etc. Of course, it's no guarantee that he will use it, but he definitely won't use it if he has no access to one.

Makes great sense, thanks so much. I'll have my hubby trim it down for me, this rooster likes to kick me on occasion, but I don't have the heart to put him in the pot lol. Anyway, I'm going to go out and put a cinder block in there, maybe it'll help. Thanks so much for the quick reply !

Blessings,
Dianna

Back
Top Bottom