Question about run bedding

I use aspen... in nest boxes. Don't know about your set up or your climate, but I get lots of rain too. Wood shavings are 100% no for my climate, they get soggy and they're not cost efficient. For me, I need my litter to provide drainage and get rid of mud and odors.

Deep litter isn't coffee grounds or wood shavings. It's a mix of materials that compost down along with poop. What aart posted is above is an example of optimal deep litter base material - chunky wood chips allow for aeration and drainage, and mix other plant matter into that.

Really no need to buy stuff for adding into deep litter. If you have a garden or greenery in your yard, or have neighbors that generate yard waste, that's your source right there.
Yeah thats what I was worried about lol. Like I said we usually just use the dirt floor.

I asked about bedding before and I thought people said coffee grounds could be used for deep litter? Just keep adding grounds and it'll all break down together i thought. I hope I'm not misremembering (I cant drink coffee so I'd have to buy them).
We don't have a ton of waste atm, just grass. The garden hasn't been doing too good and I dont have much time beyond mowing and letting them out to graze atm. I'm very new to the deep litter idea, we mostly just cleaned the coops every few days in the past.

So leaves in the fall would work good to mix in with wood chips too then?
One thing I was concerned about with deep litter/compst in the coop, is if I throw food in to decompose, whats stopping the hens from eating the food after it rots to decompose?

How big is your run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.
Beware too many fresh grass clipping can lead to impacted crops if the gorge on it.

They do like to dig!
I put down bricks, or logs, or pavers when they dig where I don't want them to dig.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/excavation-by-birds-a-word-of-warning.1086535/
View attachment 2286334

My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.

Okay so I got the pics, couldn't find the yard stick to measure but its from TSC
20200812_195223.jpg

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/petmate-superior-construction-chicken-coop-70401d

Ok so that's about 4x6... you said you have 7 chickens? I'd consider turning this entire unit into a coop once you have the larger run built. Even with some bantams the coop on this really isn't big enough for 7 once they're all adults.

As far as the deep litter, that might be tricky with a small run footprint as it can only absorb and compost so much at a time plus it can get thick (in fall, with the leaves, mine gets 4-6" deep before it starts breaking down). Doesn't hurt to try it out, but don't be disappointed if it needs some maintenance vs how it would behave in a bigger run.
Yeah I thought it felt a bit small too once I got it built, they all sleep piled on top of one another in one nest box which is..not something ive seen with the last chickens we had who slept further apart and on the roost bars. Theyve def got more room than that in there and its not that cold at night yet lol
The original plan was to free range them, so I thought itd be fine, but things have changed on account of hawks. Ideally it'll be a mobile run, so I can move it around the yard and adjust the size if needed.
How should I go about expanding it as a coop? Add more of a wood exterior?

Ah alrighty, maybe I'll wait til they dig a little deeper to start then xD
I'm already raking it out as needed so a little maintenance is fine. I liked the idea of deep litter as I read about it helping keep in heat come winter.

Back
Top Bottom