Question about selling eggs

kara_leigh

Songster
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Bradleyville, MO
If you sell your eggs from your home, how do you go about doing it? So far I have one family that is buying my eggs, and they live about 45min away but we drive past their house at least once a week. I have told him our schedule of the days and times we go past, but even still, I have to chase him down every week to see if he wants eggs.

Do you chase the customer down, or do they get a hold of you when they want eggs? Maybe I'm completely off base, but I don't think I should have to chase him down. It's hard when I have a super busy week, I forget to email him. I wish I could just take him two dozen every two weeks, or whatever, but he always wants a different amount so I always have to ask first.

(sorry if this is in the wrong place)

Social networking is still the very best way.

My wife does all the sales. I'm purely in production.
big_smile.png
I cannot keep up with her requests. It takes a year, maybe more, but it happens. I won't drive around delivering either. Not with gas heading to $4 a gallon and the margin on eggs is razor thin. She plays cards once a week, she goes to two choir practices, Avon ladies gatherings, and then, there are the neighbors, church folks, etc. In other words, just normal life and sociable living. When people know you, know you keep chickens, hear of you selling eggs, it usually sells itself. My wife peddles 12-15 dozen a week with zero effort.

No we don't track down people or call them.

We are fairly new to this area and we don't know very many people. I'm friends with our neighbor on Facebook, but that's it. I don't have any friends in this area at all yet.

As long as we are already going that direction I don't mind delivering b/c we live so far out in the middle of nowhere. Most people won't come out here just for eggs. I won't make a special trip, though. We have to already be going that way to grocery shop or whatever else.

Last edited:
I have one customer that calls every week, we go to church together and I take them when ever I drive by our church, but mostly on Sundays.
I have two other customers that every other week I automatically deliver each a dozen. These are older ladies. Probably had milk delivered to their back door.
Then several others will email, FB or txt me.
So no I do not chase them down and I do not drive the 10+ miles to town to deliver any. They all know that I have to bring them when I come.
I agree with Fred, it just takes a while to get the word out.

I don't chase down my customers. They ask when they want them. I had a customer ask earlier in the week and I told her I didn't have enough at the moment - so I did call her when I had them available. I will drop them off somewhere I'm already going, but will not make a special trip just to deliver eggs. If they want a special trip, then they can come pick them up.

I agree with the others. I think it will just take some time to get the word out that you have them. I havent yet had enough extras to sell outside my family but everyone keeps asking when they find out that I have chickens. I dont think you should get in the habit of knocking peoples door down to buy them. Although I know its frustrating when you have all these eggs and nothing to do with them, also. I dont know if you garden, but until things get going, you can plant your seeds in the shells so at least some of the egg will be put to good use
smile.png

It seems that you are a ways out from a busy city? Consider placing a small sign out in your front yard that says eggs for sale. In my area, many people do that and for the time being, it seems like you most likely will always have an extra dozen to sell on the off chance someone does stop. Maybe you could also make up a few business cards and place them on community boards when you do go into town. Just until you build up a reliable clientele.

Good luck!

I don't chase customers down. They will email me, text me or call me to place their weekly order. They tell me when they need their order and either they come and pick them up or I drop their order off on my way to work. We have a perfect system in place that works.

We took a picture of ours and made a Facebook post. We had more people wanting eggs than we had to sell. It is a Facebook based yard sale page. We listed them for $2.00 a dozen. I think I could have listed them for more money.

Back
Top Bottom