1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about shipped eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I got my eggs this morning The nice BYC'er I got the eggs from wrapped them perfect but the PO did a number on them. It looked like they played football with it. Anyways I knew I was gonna find a mess inside and I did alot of busted or broken eggs. Out of 4 duck eggs only 2 made it. I need advice on busted air sacs. I candled them before putting them in. One looked intact and one um? IDK it had a air spot in the egg that moved when I moved the egg around. Does this mean the air sac is ruined and will it develop?

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Im sorry about youre eggs , I dont know anything about air sacks but I am [​IMG]:fl for you

What is up with the the usps lately everyone seems to be getting smashed eggs and banged up boxes.. not just a few dings some look like they got droped of the impire state buildin or ran over during by a truck. what on earth does happen to packges to get this damage.

3. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    On Saturday, I received a dozen eggs from a hatchery and although the package was in perfect condition, one egg was broken and many got scrambled (the air sack was floating around). I set all 11 in the bator and have 4 maybe 5 developing. The eggs with the loose air sacks won't develop. I would have thought for the amount of shipping I paid, they would be insured but, they are not. In fact the box is not marked fragile! Go figure. It was Priority Mailed but still took 4 days to reach me.
    When I contacted the hatchery, they have no obligation to replace the damaged eggs but were kind enough to be willing to supply me with replacements. Don't know when, I am at their mercy but thats okay. They could have hung up the phone.

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    so that floating bubble i saw that moved as I turned the egg that is a broken airsac? and it will no develop? Man! If so that means I only have 1 egg to count on. Just my luck!! The Byc'er offered more duck eggs and just pay the shipping but...Wow, This makes me sad. [​IMG]

5. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    yes, i know what you mean. unless someone else has a different conclusion.

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    free floating is detatched, I haven't had any develop, and I hatched quite a few shipped eggs.
    Now if it moves down the side but is kind of stuck, it is what I have heard others refer to as saddle cell, as the egg looses moisture you will see the air cell shaped as a saddle. I have had plenty of these hatch. good luck [​IMG]

7. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    it is indeed loose..So should I just toss it?

8. rikku_03

rikku_03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Anchorage
    I heard a lot of stories about eggs being smashed up I was thinking about ordering online and now I'm afraid that the eggs might get smashed while being shipped.

9. pegasuschick

pegasuschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Great Pacific NW
    I have hatched a lot of shipped eggs and have had about 50% good eggs from them. You do have to expect a lot of them to be bad just because of the shipping.
    I have never had a chick hatch from an egg that had what I call a "floating" air cell. It is is just sloshing around in there it won't develop.
    I don't think I have had any with the spottiness in the shell hatch either. I think the egg is too pourous.
    I am on my fourth hatch this season (my first) and have hatched 12 since yesterday.
    Seven are salmon favorolles which always seem to be a bit difficult to hatch as they aren't really active, three lt brahmas and two Jersey Giants. I am happy with the hatch so far.
    The most important thing is the humidity I find.
    Gina [​IMG]

10. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I am gonna give them 10 days before i toss.I know I am up aganist my odds but I so wanted these duckie eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by