Question about shipped eggs?

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
I got my eggs this morning The nice BYC'er I got the eggs from wrapped them perfect but the PO did a number on them. It looked like they played football with it. Anyways I knew I was gonna find a mess inside and I did alot of busted or broken eggs. Out of 4 duck eggs only 2 made it. I need advice on busted air sacs. I candled them before putting them in. One looked intact and one um? IDK it had a air spot in the egg that moved when I moved the egg around. Does this mean the air sac is ruined and will it develop?

Im sorry about youre eggs , I dont know anything about air sacks but I am
fl.gif
:fl for you

What is up with the the usps lately everyone seems to be getting smashed eggs and banged up boxes.. not just a few dings some look like they got droped of the impire state buildin or ran over during by a truck. what on earth does happen to packges to get this damage.

On Saturday, I received a dozen eggs from a hatchery and although the package was in perfect condition, one egg was broken and many got scrambled (the air sack was floating around). I set all 11 in the bator and have 4 maybe 5 developing. The eggs with the loose air sacks won't develop. I would have thought for the amount of shipping I paid, they would be insured but, they are not. In fact the box is not marked fragile! Go figure. It was Priority Mailed but still took 4 days to reach me.
When I contacted the hatchery, they have no obligation to replace the damaged eggs but were kind enough to be willing to supply me with replacements. Don't know when, I am at their mercy but thats okay. They could have hung up the phone.

so that floating bubble i saw that moved as I turned the egg that is a broken airsac? and it will no develop? Man! If so that means I only have 1 egg to count on. Just my luck!! The Byc'er offered more duck eggs and just pay the shipping but...Wow, This makes me sad.
hit.gif

free floating is detatched, I haven't had any develop, and I hatched quite a few shipped eggs.
Now if it moves down the side but is kind of stuck, it is what I have heard others refer to as saddle cell, as the egg looses moisture you will see the air cell shaped as a saddle. I have had plenty of these hatch. good luck
fl.gif

I heard a lot of stories about eggs being smashed up I was thinking about ordering online and now I'm afraid that the eggs might get smashed while being shipped.

I have hatched a lot of shipped eggs and have had about 50% good eggs from them. You do have to expect a lot of them to be bad just because of the shipping.
I have never had a chick hatch from an egg that had what I call a "floating" air cell. It is is just sloshing around in there it won't develop.
I don't think I have had any with the spottiness in the shell hatch either. I think the egg is too pourous.
I am on my fourth hatch this season (my first) and have hatched 12 since yesterday.
Seven are salmon favorolles which always seem to be a bit difficult to hatch as they aren't really active, three lt brahmas and two Jersey Giants. I am happy with the hatch so far.
The most important thing is the humidity I find.
Gina
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom