Question about siding for coop

Quote:
See, I was wondering the same thing, but I was thinking with it only being painted on the outside of it, and the air, breezes, etc. It might be enough to get rid of the fumes & all after a few days. ???

Quote:
RE: Vinegar removing oxidation of the wood? That is what I'm looking for...what to remove oxidation or to not remove oxidation? In your opinion, vinegar a good idea or not?

Quote:
RE: Vinegar removing oxidation of the wood? That is what I'm looking for...what to remove oxidation or to not remove oxidation? In your opinion, vinegar a good idea or not?

Not really a good or bad thing, just may not be what you are looking for. But even with vinegar you'll have to seal it with something. I always test stuff out on a couple scraps. Get creative. Diesel fuel and oil used or new is One of the best penetrating sealers ever. If you adjust the amount of used motor oil in the mix, it will darken or lighten.

Flammable? You mean like the wood you put it on?

Fumes are different then scents. There are fumes, but they will disappear readily. It will smell like diesel fuel or gasoline for a while but that is just the smell. If you want to test out the fume smell thing douse your hand with gasoline. Dry your hands with a towel. Now try to light your hands on fire. They won't but they will smell like gasoline.

We still haven't decided on this. We do have some Thompson's Water Seal. We tried it on a test piece by itself & it does darken this pine siding some & does show the grain of the wood, but would like it a bit darker. Hubby thought about mixing used motor oil with it to see if that will give us the color we are looking for.

Will either the Thompson's Water Seal or the oil/diesel mix keep the wood from getting naturally weathered though? I would like for it to get naturally weathered, but would just like for it to look like it's already a bit weathered in the meantime. I'm assuming this wood does need to be sealed with something, though. It is pine resaw lumber with the rough side out. I do believe it is treated, though.

I'm also gonna possibly try the vinegar wash on a test piece tomorrow just because I'm curious about it.

Last edited:
Oxidation is weathering something. Think of metal. Rusty metal is aged or weathered. Rust is actually iron oxide.
wink.png
Vinegar is a cleaning agent, and will remove certain oxidations. In other words, make stuff look newer, which is opposite of what you want. At least on metal, i know this is true. Idk for sure on wood. I haven't tested it. As far as odor, I would do the used motor oil. It has no where near the smell of anything
professional like urethane or oil based paints. Diesel and kerosene will have a stronger odor. If you want to preserve wood, the best way is with oil (whether it is motor oil or paint or stain. Oil penetrates deep into the wood, which is what you need for preservation, both from the rain (oil repels water) and bugs (they bite wood... yucky!) Hope this helps
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom