Question about Silkies...*Pics added*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SunAngel, Sep 30, 2008.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Whats the latest age that cockerels will usually crow?

Would they most likely be crowing by 20 weeks? I have 2 black ones that have been having face offs and go at each other feet first. I am thinking they might both be boys, but neither has crowed yet.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  2. LittleYellowOne

LittleYellowOne Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Silkie cockeral who just crowed for the first time the other day, and he's about five months old... *dies* We just say he's a late bloomer, I know that he's not very typical~

3. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Finally got a couple pics of them, they look a little scraggly thanks to all the rain over the weekend! They are 19 1/2 weeks old. No crowing yet, just kicking at each other and fluffing up their necks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyone have a clue if this one might look like a boy? The comb seems to be awful big/mulberry colored for 2 months of age.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Nobody willing to hazzard a guess huh lol Silkies must be really tough!

5. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I don't know but my girls combs weren't that size and they are now 4 1/2 mo. Someone on here with more knowledge will pipe in later, they're usually pretty good at answering.

6. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

i am still trying to figure out what mine are and they are almost three months old. Good luck with that.

7. Easter_pink_silkies

Easter_pink_silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Your first pic looks just like my little girl,Michiko; but your's comb is much larger, im thinking #1 may be a roo #2 may also be a roo, i think #3 is a hen. Michiko the little lady will be a two and a half months next week:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  8. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:I'd say that splash is a cockerel. If it were a pullet, the comb would not be that large at 8 weeks old. I've had cockerels not crow until they were around 8 months.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  9. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I'd say by the development of the combs in #1 and #2, there is a good possibility that they are cockerals.

I can't really see the comb in #3, so any guess is a guess...

10. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    All three look like males to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by