Question about tarry poop

ChickenAl

Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Putnam cty, NY
I've got a 10 month old Amberlink pullet that has had what I would almost call pasty butt, with black, tarry looking poops. They stick to her feathers, but I have not seen anything wrong as far as worms or the like. She still lays an egg a day and seems healthy outside of this unsightly black stuff on her butt. The other girls don't have it so I don't think it is anything that is contagious.

I've looked at the pics of poops on the site and it does not look like anything really out of the ordinary, outside of it being black and a little loose. I was thinking of cutting her butt feathers to allow it not to stick, but I'm not sure that is the answer. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

I took the route of trimming her downy feathers and removing all the crusted poop. Everything about her looks healthy and it might just be she has dark Cecal poops that get all over her. I'll see how she does from here out.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I'll have to see if our vet does that. Although, I think it should be a straight forward test that most vets should be able to do.

Back
Top Bottom