Question about taste

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by redneck4life27, Feb 2, 2013.

1. redneck4life27

redneck4life27 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Northern ny
    I had to butcher one of my 8 month old pullets cuz my turkey darn near ate half of her face. so my question is will the rir taste like the cornish cross. Will the be a stronger flavor or a tougher texture to the meat. Shes been resting in the frige for 3 days and we just put her in the crockpot.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    If you try to cook her as you would a Cornish X - by frying or baking it will not be what you are used to. That's not to say it will taste badly - just different. Before the advent of the Cornish X in the 50's the prevalent meat birds were heritage breeds like RIRs and Delawares. I would suggest you make up a great chicken and noodle soup or chicken 'n dumplings - you won't be disappointed!!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It will be tougher, but not really in a bad way, just a way most folks aren't used to. Think of the cornish cross ad veal and the pullet as a good steak. Yes, you'll have to actually chew the older bird, it won't be all mushy and fall apart like cornish cross. Crockpot was a great choice.........low and slow is best for mature birds.

Sorry your turkey was, well, a turkey!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by