Question about temp and Humidity

AmericanMom

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
Oregon
Just finished day 10 of incubation, 26 eggs are doing great in my still air hova bator, question about the temps tho, I read for still air temp should be in the 102 range and humidity should be 45-50% before lockdown....
So here is where I am stuck at... temp is ranging between 101.1 and 102.2 and humidity is stuck at 52%..... I have not added any more water as that seems to spike the Humidity up to 55-60%, I think I'm ok on dry hatching but was concerned about the temp flux and humidity being a tad higher than normal..

things sound ok other than the temp is just a touch high. lowering it may lower your humidity just a touch.

when you fill the troughs, do you fill all of them? you can fill only half until lockdown.

things sound ok other than the temp is just a touch high. lowering it may lower your humidity just a touch.

when you fill the troughs, do you fill all of them? you can fill only half until lockdown.

I was only filling one of the troughs, they are marked and the second one doesnt get water til lockdown. I'll try to lower the temp, but to what? keep it between 100-101??

i kind of said that before thinking, when i had a still air incubator i ran the temp between 100 and 101 for best hatches. but if things seem to be going fine with your hatch, it may be best not to change anything. if your eggs hatch early (before day 20 on standard fowl, before day 18 on bantams) turn your thermostat down a little on the next hatch.

i kind of said that before thinking, when i had a still air incubator i ran the temp between 100 and 101 for best hatches. but if things seem to be going fine with your hatch, it may be best not to change anything. if your eggs hatch early (before day 20 on standard fowl, before day 18 on bantams) turn your thermostat down a little on the next hatch.
ok, maybe I'll keep it where it is then and see what happens, I'm going to not add water tho anymore until lockdown is that going to be ok as long as the humidity stays above 40%?

if you can keep it around 40, your hatch will probably do better. i let mine kind of cycle between 35% and 50% by adding water at 35%. then on lockdown i fill up the pan (troughs on yours) and dont let it dry out. if i have to open the incubator, i mist the eggs lightly with near hatch temp water right before i close it. if it gets to high you can also just open and close it immediately. that will usually drop the humidity, the incubator will recover the temp before your eggs are affected.

edited to fix error.

Last edited:
if you can keep it around 40, your hatch will probably do better. i let mine kind of cycle between 35% and 50% by adding water at 35%. then on lockdown i fill up the pan (troughs on yours) and dont let it dry out. if i have to open the incubator, i mist the eggs lightly with near hatch temp water right before i close it. if it gets to high you can also just open and close it immediately. that will usually drop the humidity, the incubator will recover the temp before your eggs are affected.

edited to fix error.

Well, I did drop the temp and its now ranging between 100.4 and 101.6 but the humidity is still at 52%.......lol, there is still a bit of water in the trough tho, Im not going to add more til lockdown or as you said if it drops to around 35%

I didnt want an early hatch as they are all in the auto turner, some eggs seem (to a newbie) that they may be a tad further along than others I.E. bigger and the shell seems harder to see into

all of that is normal, some breeds dont fill their shells well. i notice my silver phoenixes and silkies sometimes dont take up the whole shell.

Ok, I'm not going to worry about it then, they seem to be progressing normally by researching what they should look like at this stage. ...Thanks!! :)

I have a Dominique/silkie roo that has covered my EE's, BA's, Sexlink and Heritage White...It will be interesting to see what the chicks look like

Back
Top Bottom